Function keys on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fabiano, Jun 1, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

Hello guys, first I want to say that I just bought my first Mac, a Penryn Macbook Pro 2.4. I never used Leopard before so Im a complete noob in that...
    Im reading some tutorials on the Apple site to learn about it, but one thing that I still not figured out is about the function keys on Macbook (f1 - f12). As I can see, they are by default assigned to work with the icons on them, for exemple, f2 changes screen brightness when I press it. For me its quite strange, since I came from a Toshiba with Vista, where I press the Fn key + F7 to get the same effect. So, In some applications, like terminal, when i need to use a function key I dont know how to use... for exemple, I connect via ssh in a remote Suse Linux terminal, an open mcedit. in mcedit, f10 closes the application, but i cant do that, when i press f10 it mutes my sound... So how can I use this, Im very confused! please Help me...

2. macrumors 6502

See the little key on the bottom left of the keyboard labeled "Fn"?

Hold it down. Your Function keys will work.

3. macrumors Core

alphaod

4. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you can do as the above poster suggested and fress "fn" with the function key. or if you want to invert this (where pressing "fn" + f10 mutes the sound), you can change it in the keyboard system preferences. you need to check the box that enables standard function key use.

Attached Files:

5. thread starter macrumors regular

yes, i tried it out and no success. Instead it makes the current windows glows or someting like that...

edited: just figured out... its was expose settings, I just disabled f10 function on expose preferences. Sorry about my noob questions.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

7. macrumors Core

alphaod

Don't worry; I just wanted to point out that sometimes when you search use terms that may sound close; I apologize if I sounded a little harsh. ;)