Funeral for Mac OS 9

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aafuss1, May 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

Now we mark the passing away of the 9th and last Classic Mac OS .

We will bury it with Babya System, Windows 3.1,95 near Sydney.

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

This is kind of a rather unfortunate occasion for me. I was looking forward to seeing OS 9.3, as our buddies at OSRumors had mentioned, which I would have assumed, would have better stability. And I still need OS 9 for certain apps.

Well, eventually, I will get Mathmatica IPO (in place of) Graphing Calculator 2.2 and some other 3D software IPO Strata 3D Base. Then I would be set. (I will later have PS7.)

Any time is a great time for iPod.

3. aafuss1 thread starter macrumors 68000

aafuss1

IN Fact my program (Babya System), its last 9.x version was 9.3-version 10.1 will be previewed like Apple previewed Jaguar.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

aafuss1, get your info right would ya???

OS 9 has ONLY passed for future developers, NOT for users. It WILL remain alive for users for the forseeable future. There may, or may not, be future updates from Apple, but it will remain (as will Classic mode) for some time. While Classic mode/OS 9 is not mentioned in the info page for Jaguar, it also doesn't mention that it is not a part of it.

5. j763 macrumors 6502a

jag screenshots still show classic prefpane... so it's not dead quite yet but don't expect to see qt6 for os 9 or itunes updates for os 9 anymore... and if you're still using OS 9 and all your software is available for OS X-- GET OVER IT and get os x

6. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

still, thye only audio/midi software for OSX would be protools.

7. aafuss1 thread starter macrumors 68000

aafuss1

It's like MSD mnot supporting 95/98- OS9 ois dead for developers not users.

8. crazibyte macrumors newbie

Mac OS 9 - R.I.P.

I have to say that Mac OS 9 has suited me well. In fact, it wasn't until I installed Mac OS 9 (on my Rev B iMac) when I began expanding my overall knowledge of computers. It was quite a sad day when Steve Jobs had announced the "death" of Mac OS 9. I must say that it had brought a pittiful tear to my eye (this is only semi-true). Though, I have been using Mac OS X for about four months now and have become very accustomed to it, it was a strong message when Steve had displayed the graveyard theme. Mac OS 9 - you will be missed...

9. BeerDrinker29 macrumors regular

10. aafuss1 thread starter macrumors 68000

aafuss1

11. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I've yet to make the switch. I will only change over when I get a new tower that's released in July. My computer is incapable of running OSX which is the reason I have not switched.

I like OS9. I can do ANYTHING with it. Whereas OSX I have used a bit but feel as though I'm a novice Mac user with it. It makes me sad:(

12. Foocha macrumors 6502a

Foocha

Hey Teabgs, don't be sad!

Nervous at first, yes. But over time you come to appreciate, respect and then love.

Think of it like a first date - stressful perhaps... oh, but the opportunties!

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

teabgs... suck it up and switch :D

I use OS X about 98-99% of the time now. I only go into 9 when I need to scan in an image, or play UT. I hope that they release a version of UT that runs under OS X soon... that way I can do even less in 9.

OS X is much more stable then OS 9, and more and more applications are coming over.

14. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

hehe....thanks for the support guys :rolleyes:

The problem isnt me as much as my computer. I'm still running my 6500....which cannot run OSX. therefore, no OSX for me.:(

I'm gonna buy a new tower when they're released...I would have done it sooner but I've had to save up for a long time now to get the money together to almost afford it.

I've been reading a lot about OSX though and am getting excited about the switch, though I do have those sweaty first date palms ;)

I think It'll be ok....but I do like OS9 a lot...

15. aafuss1 thread starter macrumors 68000

aafuss1

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

WTF!!! Are you SICK????!!! OS 8 is NOTHING compared to either OS 9.x OR OS X!

Give up the ghost of OS's long past (pre OS 9) and get current.

17. Tommy! macrumors regular

8 is great :-D i loved 8 because i could sleep the computer without loosing my internet connection. as far as i know, i cant do that any longer. if anyone knows how plleeeaaasssseee tell me. maybe its a hardware thing.

18. King Cobra macrumors 603

If I am not mistaken, I had OS 9.1 on my old iMac and I did not lose my internet connection on sleep mode. However, I did with my Firewire iBook. I am not sure if it is a hardware issue, but I would venture to guess so.

Fear the King.

19. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I have one thing to say to this thread: Go away.

(actually, that's kind of courtesey of dukestreet)

20. aafuss1 thread starter macrumors 68000

aafuss1

Well, for Apple goodbuye OS 9 for developers-for customers OS 9 will be here to stay but not for developers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.