Funky/Cool/Unique PowerBook Bags?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SlowX, Apr 24, 2004.

1. SlowX macrumors member

I've seen lots of threads where people post their favorite practical bags for PowerBooks, but what of the more "out-there" realm? Any suggestion for bags for (15") powerbooks that are crazy/unique/hip/funky/phat/whatever? Something that stands out from the crowd, and yet still offers good protection and lots of storage?

I've had a generic Targus bag for a while, and although it won't last forever, it seemed to protect my old iBook well, and had lots of pockets and storage options. But it looks so BLAH!

I was thinking about a Chrome bag (http://www.chromebags.com), like the Sputnik or Commodore, but the insides just seem to be just big zippered pockets instead of separate compartments. Anyone have more detailed experience?
    Any other "Woooohooo" brands?

Thanks!
    :)

2. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

STM are pretty cool, and try and be less obviously a laptop bag. Nice having a waterproof padded pouch for the laptop on the loop backpack

http://www.standardtm.com.au/index.cfm

Crumpler are even more trendy but still cool

http://www.crumpler.com.au/public/home.ehtml

3. krisjon macrumors regular

I agree, most bags out there really fail on the unique, cool factor.
    I'm a die hard Timbuk2 guy since they started back in '89, but my current fave out there as far as being 'different' is Axio. Their bags are currently on a test run at the Apple Campus Store.

http://www.axio-usa.com

4. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

all i can say is that the crumpler bags website is one of the most cracked out business sites i have seen in a long time. thanks for that. :D

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah, its pretty out there and dififcult to use, its more an experience than a catelogue. They have UK and German stores as well.

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

www.acmemade.com

I have the yellow bag.

Sorry, looks like stoid already posted that.

I would like to add that they have great customer service.

7. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

Does anyone have or like the Brenthaven Profile 15, it looks like it could have potential(cept for the price) and i am wondering if anyone has one and recommends it

8. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I'd also recommend WaterField, they also have great service and I've ordered both a sleevecase bag and a wallet from them.

http://www.sfbags.com

9. josepho macrumors regular

Well, I just got my Crumpler Roll-o-notes delivered today. Despite the fact that I don't have a notebook to put in it at the moment (12" PB is somewhere between Taipei and Luxembourg just now), I've been trying it out and it's just what I need. It's gonna fit the PB, 2 good size A4 spiral pads, a book or two, a CD player/iPod... It's sweet. Very well built.

G'luck.

10. SlowX thread starter macrumors member

Anyone ever try a Boblbe-e bag?
    http://www.boblbee.com/jsp/public/productus/p_soft_office_packs.jsp

I like the X45, but wonder what the inside looks like...

Actually, that my biggest problem: Bag look cool from the outside, but what's going on inside? Just one BIG pocket, or lots of leetle ones (I like lots of leetle pockets, for pens, cars, doodads...)

Although I am checking out the other ones y'all have suggested.
    Thanks!
    :)

11. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

12. Konsole macrumors newbie

13. Geap macrumors newbie

This seems to fit your requirments...

How about a powerbook bag partially made from part of a Russian Soyuz space capsule parachute actually flown in space during the "Soyuz TM-8 Mir Mission".

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-041904b.html

Saw this over on powerpage.org

Geap

14. wwidgirl macrumors member

wwidgirl

I have a navy crumpler wee bee Crumpler Canada
    and a red acme bag for my 12inch powerbook.
    Both great bags but I don't like how the crumpler knocks against my body (like any messenger-type bag) and I don't like how nothing except the laptop fits in the acme (not even the powercord). Crumpler makes some great looking bags, and acme makes exceptionally sturdy bags, go check them both out.

15. eki macrumors newbie

Axio-USA

About the Axio:
    I tried it at MacWorld San Francisco, and here are IMHO a few points:

Pros:
    Incredibly cool look (especially the black "Fuse" bag)
    Hard outer shell
    Padded shoulder straps
    Inner computer compartment fits up to 17' pwbk

Cons:
    Inner compertment isn't padded for additional support
    The anatomical back curve is wrong (would only fit your lumbar and not upper back spinal curve)
    D-rings that hold the straps to the bag are plastic and thus breakable
    Zipper is not water tight

16. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

check out spire!

I've been impressed by spire bags (at least by what I've seen on their website...they've got the best protection for your laptop that I've seen (isn't that what the bag is for in the first place?!)...and are not obvious as laptop bags, which may fool would-be-thieves...you can see them at:

www.spireusa.com

If anyone can comment on spire bags from experience, I'd be grateful!

17. win_convert macrumors member

What should I get? I want it to fit my prospective 12" pbook, power cord, mouse, two textbooks, some excercise books, pencil case, calculator, my lunch and maybe a sweater. Does anyone have the crumpler roll-o-notes? Will this meet my criteria? We can leave out the sweater.

18. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i use the biggest spire backpack for my 17 inch, i carry a 200 gb hard drive ass well, toilet kit, isight, all the power adaptors, mouse, ipod, toilet kit, camera...i could keep listing. its great protection and people dont think its a computer.

19. Mac|Photo macrumors member

pricepoint?

How much was/is a ZeroHalliburton case?? I think they are awesome, and personally I love that classic business style, especially when it matches the sheer beauty of the PB itself...but how much? looks expensive :(

20. Konsole macrumors newbie

the z3si retails for around $250 u.s., but i got it for $175 u.s.

check out the online retailers linked off their website.

21. 7racer macrumors regular

I just purchased and recieved the Axio swift carbon backpack.

I am a physician but wanted something different than the rest of my old stuffy partners ;)

Anyways, the backpack is really stunning to look at and the build materials seem first rate. The carbon backpack has a Carbon Fiber "like" weave pattern to it. However, it isn't a real carbon fiber overlay but instead looks to be painted.

The back has a nice curve to it so it fits snuggly on your back. Perfect for those intending to ride a motorcycle with it.

The cons however are that my 17 powerbook seems to "barely" fit. Also while the padding on the bottom is adequate, I would have liked to seen it thicker. Finally, due to the contour of the back of the backpack, that is the "bend", the PB doesn't sit flush to the back but instead "sticks out" and away as the curve bends away from the contour of the flat powerbook.

22. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

that's a really great concept. awesome. that's definitly a unique product.

23. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I gotta agree with you....pretty funny.

~e

24. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Personally I'm a fan of Crumpler bags, but I've been looking at Booq Bags recently http://www.booqbags.com/ they make some pretty cool sleeves and backpacks.