Funky Icons and Other Graphical Weirdness

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Makosuke, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    I'm genrally pleased with how smooth Panther feels, but I've been noticing a few graphics glitches, and I'm sort of wondering which are common problems, or if some might be indicitive of something wrong with my system.

The most severe thing I'm seeing are a surprising number of "corrupted" icons. A small percentage of my icons (the drive doesn't seem to matter), seemingly at random, are showing up as either the wrong thing (random application icons, for example), or as corrupted garbage.

In some cases doing a get info and deleting the icon fixes it, in other cases it doesn't. This doesn't seem to happen until the computer's been on for a while, and in any case goes away after a restart.

At least one other person here mentioned this, but is this a common issue, or is it rare, and does anybody have any idea what might be the problem? It's unnerving.

I've also noticed that old-style (non-metal) Finder windows, when they've been open in the background, tend to loose the lines on their little info bar at the top. This is probably just an OS or graphics card driver bug, but I wonder if other people are seeing it.

Last little one, if I pop up a list from a folder in the dock and hilite anything that's an alias, the little alias arrow disappears leaving a bite out of the icon. Extremely minor, but odd.

Any others that folks are seeing?
  2. zellin macrumors regular

Nov 23, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Me too

I've been experiencing it too...
    Especially with iPhoto and Excel...
    And I am experiencing the alias problem as well. Some icons were even completely erased.
  3. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

Dec 19, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Me too !!!

I've been having very wierd problems with icons as well. If I download an image from the internet to my desktop, that image's icon will mysteriously appear on other documents and even apps.

There seems to be no pattern as it only happens sometimes.

I had my Photoshop CS icon replaced with the icon for a playmates image from Playboy. Not that I'm complaining but when my girlfriend uses my Mac she must wonder why some of her documents now have naked women for icons. :D
  4. skymaXimus macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2003
    Yah ... I'm having trouble w/ my icons as well. Just today my iChat icon turned into random garbage.
  5. celaurie macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2003
    Edinburgh, Scotland.
    Not me!

What sort of systems are you running Panth on?

And have you all repaired your permissions?

cel, curious
  6. zellin macrumors regular

Nov 23, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Me too!

I have repaired permissions. It seems somewhat fixed in 10.3.1, before it actually mixed up icons, e.g, the iPhoto application icon was the icon for an Excel document, etc. Now it is not as common, but the other day all of my AAC files were the icon for BOMArchiveHelper... odd.