Funny iMac G5 quirk

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Chubypig, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Chubypig macrumors 6502

When I eject CDs my iMac pushes them all the way out so they actually fall onto my desk. Does this happen to anyone else? It hasn't always happened, it just started one day... very strange...

2. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I can't say that I've ever had that problem but I've only had my iMac for 2 weeks.

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

4. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Hmm my iMac doesn't do that but my iomega zip drive shots the zip disks a few feet from the drive when ejecting , its command+E and duck for me. :)

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If the mechanism is similar to other slot-loading drives in Macs, it should spit it out until it's about halfway out and hold it out to you in its "mouth." Like a puppy dog. :) Or, ahem, like the CD-player in your car. I don't think what you're describing is right.

6. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

haha thats awsome!! i can just picture it now, your computer just spitting out your disc for microsoft officice or ssomething! PTOOEY!

7. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

No, it hasn't, thankfully. Man, that sounds really annoying. I wonder if you can get that fixed?

8. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

This is a problem that is going to be addressed on my iMac G5 while it's being given a new logic board. Call Apple when you have a chance and get this issue resolved before it starts spitting out the disks every time you eject them.

9. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I've heard of a couple of people having this problem. One guy claimed it spit his a few feet across the room. Apple fixed the problem for him. I think you should be able to get it fixed under warranty if you want. But you may like the personailty quirk... :D

10. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

My gf actually has a rev. B iMac g5 that nearly spits cds out all the way. Instead of being about half way out its more like 3/4s out where one good bump of the desk and the cd falls out. I just thought it was normal.

11. Chubypig thread starter macrumors 6502

Phew, I'm glad I wasn't the only one! To me it's not too big of a deal, I just hold my hand underneath and catch it. I just thought it was peculiar, and I wanted to share.

Now, if there was some way that it could spit them right into a case, that would be cool! :p

12. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Heh, my Rev. A 17'' 1.8GHz iMac does that to! Bought it in December, but it only started spitting in ~March. o_O

I actually kind of like it! It gives it some personality and "uniqueness". Unless this is just a sign of a bigger problem, then I should fix this while still in warranty. Wait... I have Apple Care... DOH!

llama ^_^

13. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

My iMac rev.B doesn't do that. It slides out halfway and stops, it doesn't shoot across the room. :D

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, you can certainly do that in reverse

15. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

=P

LOL i wish i had one of those things :D

16. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

I always wanted a toaster like in the cartoons that'd launch bread 3-4 feet in the air. The way I see it, you folks are lucky.

17. macdon401 macrumors 6502

macdon401

Things jumping out of my iMac!

I posted this a few months back...you may have more stuff coming out of your disk slot that you think!

A little rubber/synthetic washer ejected with DVD
    I just got a new G5 20" 1.8 iMac, I love it!
    Had a iMac dome/swivel loved that too,
    now here's a strabge one ...
    on my old one i got some DVD.CD problems.
    It would not eject...so I did the regular, reboot etc.
    that worked but a DVD ejected with a silver rubber like cloth washer
    semi stuck to the disk, well I meant to call my dealer but forgot about as it didnt effect performance?
    Now it just happened again on my new G5 ..
    is it an "Alien" jumping from the guts of my iMac,
    sure is weird!
    I know this is not normal, anyone else had this happen?
    Thank
    Randy

Attached Files:

18. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

mine didn't used to do it at the start, but around a month ago it started spitting disks out.

i'm so sick of this computer. first i had to replace the HD (they refused to believe it was broken) now it spits out cd's. oh, and it is so god damned noisy too!

imho this was one of apple's most flawed products. powerbooks have little glitches now and again (mine had the white spots on the screen) but the imacs are just one problem after another. what a pain.

/end rant

19. Alex Duggan macrumors member

Mine does it with some old music CD's that I've put in it before - only seems to do it on the older ones however! Thought it was quite amusing really :D

20. yenko macrumors 6502a

Sure looks like one of those CD cushions that come with Sony CD's/DVD's

21. savar macrumors 68000

savar

People here on MR get excited by strange things...

22. Arnaud macrumors 6502

Wow, just imagine your car-cd-player starts to do the same ? Then it's drive / eject / duck / hit-the-lamppost ! And after some days of driving, you've got all your cd's on the back seat... (which is, anyway, upside down, because you drove / ejected / ducked / missed the road curve). :D

No ! You're wrong ! It's an egg!
    Look, what does it look like? A wheel!
    Keep it under the iMac, where it stays warm... (now you know why there's such a big spot, not for the keyboard as announced)
    After some months, you'll get an iPod ! Even longer, an iMac !

The new production strategy of Apple: self-creating iMacs and iPods :eek:

A!

(PS: Owner of an iMac G5 since January, my CDs are not spitted-out, no nead for a helmet yet...)

23. Devie macrumors 6502a

Agh I hate those new cases.

Er... on topic, my iMac doesnt do it, but then again I use the drive about once a week, sometimes less. I use my iPod far more for storage :).