Funny Macintosh related "True stories"

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by 840quadra, Sep 8, 2005.

1. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Not sure if this is the correct forum, however this topic is in regards to Macintosh computers, granted more on the "fun" of using them side. I guess I am tempting fate, however I did see a few loosely related posts on this forum, so here goes!

here is my story.

At a recent work training event, we had a vendor come in to show us some of her companies web utilities (Java Based). To my surprise she pulls an iBook out of her work bag, and proceeds to introduce herself to the room.

She hooked her iBook into our projector system (it accepts many forms of input including sound), while explaining what she is here for, one of our engineers goes up front to help her connect the system to our projector. Our tech asks the vendor lady if she had any audio in her presentation and she answered yes, however she asked him not to turn on the speakers until she booted her laptop.

Meanwhile one of the receptionists is carrying in a tray of drinking glasses, followed by one of our techs carrying a box full of assorted rolls, and a few cartons of juice. Just when both are about to put what they were carrying onto the conference table "BWWWWAAAAANG" the Macintosh startup sound blasts over the rooms Bose speaker system at almost FULL volume .

The last portion of the startup chime was accompanied by a blood curdling scream by the receptionist who dropped ALL of the drinking glasses (somehow only breaking 4), along with the sound of a yelp from one of our sales managers. Everyone else had a ghost white expression on their face, followed by a room full of laughter. After she herself stopped laughing, the vendor (talking to the tech who assisted her) said "didn't I tell you to wait on that"? Again, the room was full of laughter.

I think this was the funniest reactions I have ever experienced in regards to the macintosh startup chime. The past few times I booted my own iBook I remembered yesterdays event, and start laughing all over again!

840quadra

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Wow, that was a great story 840quadra! :D

It must have been pretty cool to be there and witness that first hand. :)

Thanks for a good laugh! :D

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's awesome! :D

My iMac absolutely churns that sound out. It scares the bejesus out of me sometimes too. :eek:

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I know what you mean mad jew. On occasion I forget to turn my sound down/off when I boot up my Power Mac G5 at like 7:00 in the morning while everyone else is sleeping. :)

5. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Can't you hold down like F1 or something to temporarily disable the chime?

Josh

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

LOL

Great story! I always get a bit of a shock when the chime sounds when my PB is still connected to my external speakers.

7. Zaha macrumors newbie

Back in 2003 i had a brand new iBook with me at the university I study at. A friend looked at me, commenting on the laptop: "Now that's a cool toy, would be even cooler if that Apple logo on the cover actually lit up!"

The effect of opening the iBook was weakened a little by the bright lights of the classroom... but just a little :D

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Thats probably right, I just often forget about the chime or that my speakers are turned on.

9. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

A very entertaining story indead. And a great laugh as well.

You should check out Prangstgrup and look for the Powerbook Start-Up Sound movie.

10. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I watched that off a link on Dig a while back, indeed a funny video. I love the little Windows login sound prior to the massively long faux powerbook startup chime ;) .

11. pammyspyce macrumors regular

pammyspyce

OMG, that made me laugh so hard I cried! Hahaha!

12. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

It scares the hell outta me sometimes but i can't help but think "YEAH! I wanna do that again :D " Not so bad when i don't have it connected up to the speakers ... the whole room shakes when it is! :eek: