Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This film is ridiculous, completely inaccurate, and NOT supposed to be taken seriously. HOWEVER, we are all watching it ... which is exactly the point. Funny or Die knew that there would be people like us who live for this type of thing. You are watching it. I am watching it. And guess what ... yes, it is somewhat funny.

Sorry I am not watching it. Waste of time.

daveheinzel

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
So many people here literally don't understand the concept of a parody.

A parody is an imitation of something done for comedic effect. The question is whether or not this is actually funny. Just because someone doesn't find it funny does not mean that they don't understand what a parody is. Surely the possibility exists that an attempted parody can miss and simply not be funny.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
ehh...

That's all I can say.

EDIT -
First 15 minutes are interesting. A Funny way of looking at the early years. Then they introduce bill gates in the most stupid way possible, and then there's a stupid scene of bill and steve hammering Pentium 2 boards and they talk about "programming" then melinda gates walks in... so stupid.

That's why it was funny. Very stupid and absurd. The portrayal of Gates in this film was hilarious, and Mrs Gates having a secret crush on Jobs...

It did not paint an attractive picture of Gates, but then nothing ever does. He's the boring King nerd with no taste.

StickerBox

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
Are you kidding me? Do you people get offended by everything? People take life way too seriously. And it's also mostly Americans.

Splen

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
I watcheed the film and laughed.
I came back and read this thread and laughed even harder. Seriously, go back to the start and read it again, you couldnt make this stuff up!

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
So many people here literally don't understand the concept of a parody.

No, I want to believe that they do. I think that this style of humor simply isn't what the average MacRumors forum member considers funny.

I've personally posted and seen posts from others that I thought were clearly jokes and were almost always taken seriously, so I appreciate the level of Apple news I get from this website, but I get my daily dose of funny somewhere else.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
He's likely very hungry for work. It's common for actors to be turned away from new work because they're to recognizable as the spokesperson for another company. Unfortunately, he'll forever be known as that 'Apple Guy'.

Yes, Justin Long has not been in anything since the Apple commercials.

\sarcasm

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
For a film they threw together in a few days, I thought it was pretty hilarious. And whoever played Bill Gates was golden.

Maybe people should just get drunk and watch it so they don't take things so seriously.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Oh that's easy…

Steve would never have allowed this!

Nothing at all he could have done about it....I think he would be upset they kept showing the Apple IIe when they were talking about the Apple II. Other than that, I doubt he would care much :)

If you have read the biography, it is best to block off that part of your brain when watching the movie.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
Do "Funny or Die" videos play outside the USA?

I'm in Canada. All I get on their site is empty white boxes where the Video should be.

I can right-click on the white box and get a Flash settings, and see that I have Adobe Flash Player 11.6.602... (Just updated to 11.7.700... no change).

But no Funny or Die video has ever worked for me and it doesn't matter which browser I use (IE 10, FF 20, chrome etc...).

Last edited:

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I thought it was ok. I found most of it quite funny, but it was mostly mild smiles rather than laugh-out-loud-funny.

I kind of despair at anyone criticising it for being inaccurate… lol.

daylight28

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2003
New england
Did Bill Gates write this movie?

Justin made all that money from apple doing those iPod spots and does this to his old boss! Was not funny at all. What were they trying to do.
The bad part is that People are going to thing this is true. I see a lawsuit.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Only about 2 funny parts....still not sure if it supposed to be a comedy or a drama...but it definitely isn't historically accurate.

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Do "Funny or Die" videos play outside the USA?

I'm in Canada. All I get on their site is empty white boxes where the Video should be.

I can right-click on the white box and get a Flash settings, and see that I have Adobe Flash Player 11.6.602... (Just updated to 11.7.700... no change).

But no Funny or Die video has ever worked for me and it doesn't matter which browser I use (IE 10, FF 20, chrome etc...).

I'm in Canada too and it works fine for me.
Sat through the whole thing last night. Apart from the VR sex scene I didn't find it interesting or humorous. I guess it got Funny or die a lot of publicity so it's a win for them..

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
The closest thing I can compare this movie to is Young Einstein. Completely historically inaccurate, but they take bits of stories of his real life and embellish them and twist them around and add completely unrelated events and twist them into something that makes fun of a real historical account of events. There are some truly funny parts, and it's intentionally bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.