Funny or stupid email mistakes you made?

Discussion in 'Community' started by 840quadra, May 16, 2005.

1. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

This is the 2005 Thread for listing your email mistakes that you have made on systems without spell check, or in a simple hurry.

Here are my two

1. I was trying to send a customer information in regards to an issue with their server. Below is the Title of the message I sent;

"Mamory leak detected"

Thankfully they understood that this was a Typo!!

2. At the end of a message I often send "Best Regards" with my name at the end. Two times now I have sent the following when typing in a hurry;

"Best Retards"

Didn't escape this one as quickly, as we were in the middle of a dispute :(

Anybody else do strange / stupid things like this, or am I the only one :confused:

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Here's one from a REAL long time ago (circa 1992)... when I was at Microsoft, I used to organize movie nights, where a bunch of us would go out after work on a Friday night to see the latest release. (My most successful movie night: I arranged for almost 200 people to go to the opening of Star Trek Generations. We had our own screen!) Anyway, before we all went to see the opening of Alien³, I brought my Pioneer LD-W1 laserdisc player in to work, hooked it up to the ceiling-mounted projector in one of our training rooms (named "Romper Room"), and prepared to show the extended version of Aliens on laserdisc. We were supposed to start the movie promptly at 6:15... but at 6:10, no one was there, and we needed to start on time.

So, I picked a random machine, opened the program that we used to send instant messages (pre-IM), and sent the following message to "*":

ALIENS IN ROMPER ROOM NOW!
    In my haste, I forgot that "*" didn't just mean the Microsoft North Carolina site... it was ALL of Microsoft. To make things worse, someone else was logged into the machine... so the message came from HER, and she got some flame mail about it (not from Billg, though). There were a LOT of people who wondered what the hell that message meant... and 13 years later, I still remember it vividly. :)

3. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Was that the good old Broadcast network message?

That is far more wide reaching then my error. I can't believe that we are the only two that have made such a mistake! :eek: :D

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The only one I make (this one isn't limited to email - it bites me on these forums too, and anywhere else I type, for that matter) is spelling "enhancements" as "enchancements".

I also have a tendencty to fgat-finger the keyboarsd keys whern in a hurry, like when I typed this...

those typos are on purpose

5. angelneo macrumors 68000

Is that why you mentioned that you USED to work for microsoft?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That looks like a classic case of an unintentional broadcast network message to me.

7. efoto macrumors 68030

I am more than confident I have made many an email mistake mostly due to haste, however I cannot recall any of them as they were not all that funny/important in nature.

I often don't spell things correctly when sending them to family/friends as I feel it to be less important than business/school contacts.
    The beauty of this is that you cannot make up an email mistake like those, they are just too perfect to be false. If it was easy I would have made one, but why taint what is so good?
    I'm glad you can share your blunders, nice to read about little things like that at work, makes me triple-check all my stuff for the afternoon :p

8. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I have sent a few emails like "please find attached the report on the....." and then forget the attachment. Its OK when I realised straight away and resent it, but once I did this and then went away on holiday for 2 weeks. I came back to loads of emails from people saying "WHERE IS THE ****ING REPORT??!!

I haven't done this for a while. I've learnt from my mistakes...

9. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Another one..

Someone I know got formally disciplined for sending a joke about the Pope to a colleague (who he didn't know) instead of a friend. Thats easy to do - for some reason our mail program sometimes doesn't pick up nicknames properly. e.g. my brother is called Tim and if I type Tim in the TO: field, it autocompletes his full external email address. Sometimes when its screwy, it autocompletes to the first Tim in the internal addressbook. I have to be really careful.

The real joke is that the IT service are replacing our network & email system with Microsoft software and expect things to get better :eek:

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Hell, no... I made this mistake in the first 4 months or so that I worked there. I ended up staying there 8.5 years, plus 2 more years as a contractor (got laid off from the job I left Microsoft for, and went back for a while). Besides, almost everyone thought it was funny to hear that there were aliens in the Romper Room. :)

11. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

About 6 years ago, I was emailing a customer back and forth. He was considering buying my product and was also looking at the same product through a dealer (we sell retail and wholesale). Kept explaining that he was looking at exactly the same thing at two different price points. I finally lost patience and emailed my manager and asked him what I should tell this *******. Only problem was I hit the reply button and not the forward button.

I called him later to apologized profusely and he bought from me.

12. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I work at a hospital in their inhouse design department. How things work here is that every need goes through the marketing department, and then is assigned to graphics. One of the marketing girls and I joke around with each other a lot over email during the course of the day. So when a Pediatric Surgery Brochure came across my desk and it was time to send it to her for edits, I titled the email "Kids Getting Cut Open." Unfortunately, she forgot to change the title when passing it on to the Pediatric Surgery Department. Needless to say, they didn't find it too funny, but I laughed.

13. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

It's not a personal experience, but this story about an e-mail snafu is priceless.

14. mac-er macrumors 65816

One of the funniest things I have ever read on MR...

You should email Bill G, and ask, "Do you remember that time that the Alien were in the romper room?"

I just wonder how many people in Redmond ran to their own romper room.

15. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

This thread made me do it!

Having not sent an email to the wrong person for months - I've just done it today - which is particularly stupid after reading and posting in this thread. :rolleyes:

Luckily it was one of the 5% of my daily emails that are actually sensible and not rude or frivolous, so no damage has been done. phew!

16. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

The funniest emails at work are when someone means to hit reply and instead hit reply to all especially when all means everyone in the company.

The best was when a male coworker was telling a female coworker about the great time he had with her the night before and that they should get together again soon. BTW the female is married LOL!

17. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

My stupidiest email mistake is reading the crap that I get.

crap

crap

crap.

I work with 3 year olds.

18. Dan H macrumors newbie

Dan H