Funny: Word is a virus?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ITASOR, Jun 21, 2005.

1. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Let me start by saying this all happened in the past hour and I found it incredibly funny.

So I was lounging on my computer chair listening to some iTunes and studying for the Earth Science NYS Regents tomorrow when the phone rang. My grandpa is a funny guy (see his personal website at: http://www.captainhumor.com) but I didn't think he could be this funny. He sounded out of breath and scared, and I immediately though it might be a health issue and started to worry and try to calm him down telling him he was going to be alright. He was seriously "out of breath". I told him whatever he did, do not hang up the phone, and I would send my dad over ASAP. He proceeded to say that he was indeed fine and the problem was concerning his new dual 2.3 G5. Relieved, I asked him what the problem was and he said "I was reading my e-mail in Mail and I accidentally clicked on an attachment which was a virus. My G5 is having major problems and I need help!"

I told him that the chances of him getting a virus was little to none and reassured him that either Applecare of I could take care of the problem. He insisted on bringing the G5 over for me to take a look at as he wanted "to save it's life before it completely died." About 20 minutes later, he showed up and we unloaded the G5 and I hooked it up. It booted normally and everything looked normal. I could not find any problems what-so-ever. He kept saying something about a "blue M". I had no idea what he was talking about but I finally connected the 2 things. I opened Mail (darn those G5's are fast) and saw that his latest message had a .doc attachment. I click it and it opened in Office 2004 Test Drive's Word. He pointed at the W icon in the dock and said, "There it is, THE BLUE M."

You have to be pretty "out of the computer world" to think that Word was a virus. Anyway I threw away the Test Drive (now his attachments open in TextEdit..much better).

The expressions on his face were just so funny, like he was absolutely terrified. You can understand this more just by looking at the pictures on http://captainhumor.com and trying to imagine the situation. Ahhh too funny.

Gotta love grandpas...lol....now if only I had a G5 like that....hmm. :D

itasor

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

See Grandpa, I could help you so much quicker if I had my own G5...

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I love watching my Grandpa trying to use my Macs. He comes from a Windows 98 world, refuses to update because he thinks he'll lose all his files. Classic! :D

4. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

My grandpa has always used macs. Look at the store on captainhumor.com. He actually walks around and goes in public/to fancy restaurants with one of those t-shirts. I have one too. :eek:

5. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

At least you got your grandpa to use a computer. I tried for years to get my grandpa to use one before he passed and his favorite saying was the classic "You can't teach an old dog new tricks".

BTW, I like his site!

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

But why exactly did you grandpa think that Word was a virus?

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

One of my grandpa's has the old 400 mhz iMac. When this iMac sleeps the power button is lit up. He always says that this spends a lot of electicity and imac should be sut down ;). That's my sister's Mac.

My other grandpa doesnt have a computer at home, but I tought him to enter OS X password and click Log In :D . It's so funny to watch him move the mouse!

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

My Grandpa knows more about Macs than I do. I know about PCs though. I gotta fix them all day, he just gets to have fun on his Macs (retired). :(

9. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Hehe thanks if you want to write him some fan e-mail, I think he would love that and I could give you his e-mail address. I'm sure he would mail you a signed photo of "captain humor" as well. Same goes for everyone else, just PM me. :D I will also put your picture under the fan section of captainhumor.

He thought word was a virus because it said "Microsoft" on it. Yeah...he's a long time mac user hahaha.

isaint: Good idea! Hahaha

10. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

impressive that your grandpa actually uses a computer and funny that he thought it was a virus. My grandma (87) always talks about how she wants to get "one of them new computing machines) but she is way past her prime.