FURIOUS with Apple right now

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ontheuptick, Jan 25, 2006.

1. ontheuptick macrumors member

I ordered a 17 inch iMac, with only 1 upgrade, to a 1GB stick of ram. You would think this wouldn't be tough to get out wouldn't you?

Well, I ordered January 16th. My expected ship date WAS January 24th. I wasn't happy it was more than a week later, but I guess that's what you get.

SO, I get on today, and my expected ship is MARCH 9! This is completely ridiculous. I am a first time mac owner (or at least was planning on it), and if I wasn't so excited about the new mac, I would forget about the whole thing. But, I'm at least going to cancel my order at the Apple store, and order on Amazon, they are guaranteeing next day delivery for only 30 bucks.

What a screwjob.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Apple Rips you off for the extra RAM anyway... so its cheaper to buy it from another retailer...

3. UberMac macrumors 6502

Huzzah!

I'm in the same boat, I ordered mine on the 12th and was expecting dispatch on the 20th, it was then pushed back to the 26th and now has been pushed back to the 2nd Feb. I ordered a 1Gb memory upgrade, GFX upgrade and WL KB/M.

I need to order from Apple as I get the education discounts and live miles from a retailer. The STUPIDEST thing is that if I were to order one today with the same spec it would be dispatched on the 29th...BEOFRE MINE!?

Ah well, gotta love Apple...it adds to the fun you see. "When will I get my iMac?" is a great game! I have written a couple of letters to Steve and his colleagues though to ask what's been going on!

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not necessarily. 2 pieces of 1gb memory from Crucial.eu was going to cost me around €312 including shipping.

2 gb upgrade from Apple was €310 on my order..

Ok i don't have the extra 512 lying around like I would if I had gone from crucial, but hey what good is it doing lying around :)

My iMac ordered on the 16th from Apple 20", 256mb X1600 & 2gb Ram shipped yesterday from Shanghai.. However checking today I got a message telling me that there was a loading error at the Airport and it has caused a delay :(

So maybe you should be grateful it didn't ship on the 24th like mine :rolleyes: I mean what's a loading error? An chinese circus elephant sat on a pallette of stuff? :) A panda took a dump on a crate from apple :p

Did you max out the hardrive by chance? or go for the Wireless keyboard option like Ubermac?

5. peterparker macrumors regular

peterparker

Guess I was lucky. I ordered my iMac 20" upgraded to 1 GB memory stick on Jan. 16 and received it on Jan. 20. When FedEx showed it as being at the local delivery facility on the 18th I was having a cow because the estimated delivery date was the 24th, today.

6. UberMac macrumors 6502

Oooooh errr! I hope it's nothing too bad! I'd guess it just means it "missed"* the flight it was supposed to "catch"* Well at least you can now participate in the "When will my iMac arrive?" game!

Uber

*can parcels actually DO things? I guess not
    /oooh errr I hope not
    //but what if they can...
    ///WHAT IF THEY CAN?!

7. ontheuptick thread starter macrumors member

I already cancelled my order. No way I'm waiting until mid-march. I placed my order on Amazon, and it should be shipping today. Now I just have to get memory.

8. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

yeah this happens, I read off some site they were short on the yonah chips, atleast they are this late in production. They probably have a bunch sitting around, but those are promised for the MacBooks! :)
    I'm glad you could find a place to get one sooner, btw, to anyone who knows, I'm pretty sure it doesn't affect your Applecare, but a friend of mine implanted this thought into my head....how does installing your own RAM affect your applecare warranty?

9. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

The RAM you installed is not covered nor is any damage that may have been done while installing the RAM. Otherwise, it does not affect the warranty.

10. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

yeah thats what I thought, When I finally buy a new macbook, I guess i'll be buying RAM from crucial, $117 is alot better than the $300 apple charges

11. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Is it the Intel iMac? Brand new Macs (redesigned) like the ones with intel chips usually take awhile to ship d/t how popular they are and how many people order them. I ordered my G4 iMac the day they were announced in January 2002 but did not get it until mid-March. My G5 iMac took a month to arrive. That's just the way it is.

12. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

Apple's RAM prices (at least for the intel iMac) seem to be very reasonable at the moment.

13. Frobozz macrumors 65816

Frobozz

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but DDR2 667 MHz ram, at least for the MacBook Pro (low profile ram) is scare if not impossible to buy aftermarket right now.

Perhaps there is a supply issue with it. If you really think about it, not too many PC's use it, and up until now no Macs did.

Hell, my HP Wintel box only uses DDR2 533 RAM ...

I am waiting for my MacBook Pro 1.83 with an upgraded 7200 RPM drive, and my expected ship date is February 15th. Expected delivery is February 21 (odd considering I paid for 2 day shipping.) So, it seems odd that you would have to wait even longer than me for something that was supposedly available immediately. Maybe there really is a RAM shortage?

14. Frobozz macrumors 65816

Frobozz

Indeed, I am doing the same thing. The only catch is that you can't buy direct from Crucial right now-- they're out of stock!

15. ontheuptick thread starter macrumors member

It's crazy. I placed the order from AMAZON and my expected delivery date is TOMORROW, that's 1 day folks. Same with my RAM, that I ordered from OWC (which I would highly recommend). I should be getting it all tomorrow, instead of waiting until the blasted middle of march.

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My 17" iMac (base model, part of the Developer Transition Kit exchange program) arrived today. No upgrades whatsoever (none were allowed).

As far as RAM, a 1GB stick from OWC ran me $125 (shipped) and should arrive tomorrow.

17. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Instead of wasting energy posting here, have you actually tried calling them to see why the delay? Perhaps threatening to cancel your order would speed things up. Don't complain, take action - order from somewhere else if you need to.

18. ontheuptick thread starter macrumors member

Wow, why don't you read the rest of the thread before posting this.

I did call, I did threaten to cancel, they offered 50 bucks off my ordered, I cancelled anyways and went to amazon.

19. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

£312??? Or, I guess you stated in Euros...but that is like $500!!!! There is no way that can be right!!!

20. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Congratulations - I wish more people would do this. Delays like that can't be tolerated - even if it is Apple. Makes you wonder how Amazon got their hands on so many machines - seems Apple may have their priorities mixed up.

21. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

I always found it amazing that Apple will stock their stores FIRST before they even fill online orders. We had the iMacs in two days after they were announced, with all the upgrade parts we would need. Customers that were coming in & asking if we had them, were telling us about how they placed an order online, and weren't expecting it for another month. We took them over to a computer, canceled their order, and sold them an intel iMac right there.

I suggest you do the same, and get your apple somewhere else. The "geniuses" I work with like all of the usual places, crucial.com, owc.com, etc.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL!!

Each piece 1GB from crucial is 148 Euro. Times that by two and add UPS shipping and thats how you get my fina l figure. 312 Euro is $382 (using convertor widgit. I love widgits in 10.4)

Not sure the Sterling £ price, but like I say apple charged 310 Euro extra for the 2GB ram so for me it wasn't so bad.

----

Just checked crucial site again. Gone down to 145 Euro per piece

But what the hey, they still dont have it in stock anyway :)

23. altair macrumors regular

Sounds like supply and demand to me. Apple doesnt have any to ship, otherwise they would, what do they gain by not shipping you your machine as fast as they can? And Amazon has plenty to ship, hence the 1 day shipping.

I bet more people go to the online apple store, hence being out of stock, then go to amazon, hence being in stock.

I guess you have the right to get mad about it, but it would be delusional to think that apple is trying to screw you.

24. dothog macrumors newbie

Seeing a big delay, too, on my order from Apple Store.

It was supposedly turned over to FedEx and listed as "Shipped" on the 19th. However, each day since the 20th, when I go to the Order Status page, the shipping date is updated to reflect yesterday's date. Hence, my iMac currently is listed as having shipped on the 24th, not 19th. Every single day since the 19th, the information in the FedEx page has only read "Package data transmitted to FedEx."

If the problem is Apple's, I understand why they don't list anticipated delays in the Apple Online Store--they want to hook those orders--but it's an incredible pain in the ass once the order's been completed. I'm not so angry as much as I am confused about when to expect the box to arrive--did it actually ship on the 19th (and I'm looking at an error on FedEx's end) or is Apple's warehouse playing monkey shines with me?

EDIT:
    Sorry--I see the "I just bought an iMac..." thread is discussing this in more detail. Apparently Apple's handling of the shipping question leaves something to be desired.

25. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    To me, it makes perfect sense that Apple would supply all of its retail stores first with new computers prior to filling any online orders. That way, the stores will have the newest items to show and will snag the people who walk in "off the street," (well, more accurately, in from their mall's main walkway). In providing a hands-on experience to propective customers, it's fairly likely that additional sales can be captured. What doesn't make a lot of sense to me is that Apple would supply Amazon with so many machines that then Apple is unable to quickly satisfy orders in its own online store. Of course, those ordering from Amazon are not going to be getting any sort of BTO configuration, and again it is not surprising that purchasers who are requesting various BTO configurations directly from Apple are going to have to wait a little longer than those who have ordered just the basic stock item.

Was in my local Apple store today and of course had to have a play with one of the new iMacs. Lovely! One of the guys who works there and I chatted for a bit. I commented on how a lot of people who'd just bought the earlier iMac at Christmastime would've been surprised and probably annoyed at the sudden emergence of the Intel-based iMac so soon....and he agreed that this has been an issue and that there had been some returns and exchanges... Well, I assured him that I'm hanging on to my Rev B G5 iMac for a while yet (ie, years), no rushing in to getting the latest at this point, since mine is just a few months old. However, I can understand how someone who had just bought the Rev C iSight iMac in, say, December, especially right at holiday time, would've been more than a little ticked-off and would want to swap for the new Intel-based iMac. We also agreed that so much depends upon what a person wants to do with his/her new computer, and that since the migration to Intel-based machines is going to take a while, especially when it comes to software, it is good that for the moment Apple is still offering all of the earlier models for sale as well so that the professional who needs to have Photoshop or Dreamweaver or Final Cut or some other program still running natively can still buy a Powerbook if he/she needs portabilityright now and doesn't want to try running one of those programs on Rosetta.

It's been interesting reading all of the posts from those who have ordered the new machines, especially the reports from those who've received theirs and have them up and running. Reminds me of when I ordered my PB BTO right after the big announcement back in October...

OTB