Further Details Regarding Leaked Pro Mac

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Jul 22, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Some final details are filled in by AppleP58, author of the PDF:

- it is a slim power supply, originally identical to the XServe's with two fans 'attatched' to the end of it (as you may see in older photographs). The final product is 2 inches longer with the 2 fans built in (3 fans in power supply total)
    - has a slide-on back cover which pulls off to access the IDE and power cables
    - The Hard Drives: The two vertically mounted drives under the powersupply have a pop-off holder with a plastic hook; there is 1 screw which is there for the sole purpose of keeping it from falling out during shipping, as the instructions will attest to in the final product. The 2 horizontally mounted drives, under the optical drives, have a slide out design with 3 mushrooms to catch on like a rail on top, it slides in and has a plastic latch.
    - The "mystery port" that was on early designs of the motherboard was a mini-VGA video port (like on the P80 iMac, iBook & PowerBook), and is not in the final product because it was only needed for testing the units sans-video card.
    - Thermal grease will be used on the MPUs instead of black thermal pads. There will be single and dual processor MPUs used. It will use DDR.
    - The new model P58 was not announced at MacWorld because of troubles with the XServe (P69) in production, the initial order of 4000 has been dificult to fulfill, and has taken up a lot of time of several departments traveling... I'll leave it at that.

Case:

- The metal area on the front panel is glossed aluminum, and as you can see in the photos has mylar covering it causing the haze, it is NOT brushed aluminum nor has it ever been.
    - The case IS silver like the P57, has a white & silver speaker, and a hole handle with a larger ring in the side door.

2. macrumors 6502a

too bad..i wish some of you were little nicer to him..

3. arn
    thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

So... just to fill in gaps to catch those up who haven't been following.

- No one knows much about this person. They created/submitted a PDF which claimed to be images of the new G4 enclosure with some added details.
    - Pictures of such an enclosure soon were distributed around the web.
    - He/she presumably had access to these images or the real thing to base the PDF off of.
    - The details provided here, however, aren't obtainable through the available pictures...

So, I guess we'll see...

arn

4. macrumors member

Misinformation?

Could this not just be a clever misinformation campaign by Apple?
    Send a few pictures to the rumor sites of a discontinued prototype and then get Apple legal to jump on it?

Or could it be a deliberate leak. Sort of: Yes the new pro Macs are coming, but we're not ready to fully annouce it yet as we've got production problems and a large inventory of existing Power Macs to get rid of?

I'll guess we'll find out soon enough :)

5. macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

They might be trying to stop us talking about .Mac and the Keynote (Not that I was disappointed, I was actually quite content with the keynote)

Ensign

6. macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Shame on me ...

... if the final thing is really silver! I doubted it all the time! I just can't believe that a white speaker looks good in silver case.

Oh my... :confused:

groovebuster

7. macrumors regular

Did anybody else read this over at spymac :

There's no way to know for sure, but it sure sounds legit. It leads me to think the specs are indeed very close to reality while the case may still yet be tweaked a bit. One can only hope :D

dh

8. macrumors member

I just can't wait until it's released!!!!!!:D ;) :p :cool:

9. macrumors 6502

One question...what the hell is an MPU?

10. macrumors 6502a

Geert

Upgraded system bus, and DDR would be nice.
    1.2 or 1.4 Ghz would be OK too
    enclosure is just details.

11. macrumors 603

solvs

Is it me...

... or didn't this guy run home crying after someone made a (joking) comment about how he probably didn't know anything. Instead of standing up for himself, and giving us something real to chew on, he made a lame comment about his feelings being hurt, and never posting again.

It's not like he has proved himself or anything (read all of his previous posts, nothing much). Even if he had, jeez, can't he take a joke. You're posting on a public forums with nothing to back you up. The comments towards him could have been much worse.

Nothing against you ARN, I just don't know about this person. Something just doesn't seem to fit right. Maybe I'm just mad, because I've been expecting more from Apple lately and getting less. Sure they're still the lesser of 2 evils, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I feel guilty for convincing people to go Apple lately. We're used to this from M$, but Apple. We can all agree that they seem to be dropping the ball lately.

Maybe I'm just disappointed, or in a bad mood. And please don't tell me to buy a PC (doesn't help the whole switch thing. "If you don't like it, we don't want you. We're complacent in our obsolesence"). I have one, it sux, I hate it. Duh, that's why I want a Mac. But if I'm paying for quality and fair business practices, I want those things. Apple IS a business, it's not a good idea to p*ss off your former zealots.

Back on topic, something just really irked me about this person. The way he reacted to the comment. If he had something to say to back it up, he should have said it. We're cynical (more so now). Getting a PDF from SPYMac (edited with Corel Draw BTW), and saying a bunch of stuff most of us could have guessed or made up to sound true does not equal proof. If these are the real photos (which I doubt, and hope this is a fake), I'll admit to being wrong.

If it's got, at least - a 1.2 GHz G4, ATA/100 (preferrably 133 so I can access 128-137 GB+ hard drives without having to add a PCI card), and DDR-RAM, I'll be the first in line with my CC. I don't think I'm asking for too much on $3,000+ machines. Otherwise, I'm buying an old used, refurb, or discounted model. Or an eMac to play with until they give me a reason to buy a PRO machine. I can just upgrade my PC to crash even faster.

Am I wrong here? I know I've been ranting about this for the last couple of days (nothing better to do this weekend after my parents left. Maybe that's why I'm so pissy?), but can I get an Amen? If Moto's CPU's are so slow (and I don't think they are), get some better hard ware to support it. Mr. Jobs, I want to give $$$ to you, give me a better reason than just the software. Give me something good to run it on.

The Dual Gigs were okay (months ago), but I do video, image, and music editing - on a budget. I won't pay thousands for outdate equipment. Forget the case design, forget the CPU stalls, give me real world performance and a reason to upgrade. We're hit by the reccesion too, and we don't have millions in the bank. We want good features, and good performance for a fair price. You want us to pay for the software and features, give us a reason to upgrade and a reason to be happy with our (realitively)expensive purchases.

All you people who say, "well it's good enough for me", and "it's fast enough" are missing the point. This is a cut-throat business in a cut throat world. You want us to pay, give us a real reason. Not an incremental increase every couple of months. Jobs said he wanted to inovate - Bluetooth, Giga Ethernet, FW, USB, Unix, etc. But ATA/66. They don't even make 66 Drives. Everything will be ATA/133 and soon Serial ATA/200+, and we'll finally get IDE 100 with 120 GB drives. There is such a thing as a Wintel PC folks. The competion, whether you like it or not.

I'm gonna get some sleep now. I'm a little cranky :mad: and really tired :eek: but I can't be alone on this.

If the case is ugly as sin, but running OS X.2 well, on TODAY'S technology, I'll be happy. :D

If I wanted to have a relationship with something I just tolerated, I'd build a new PC.

Or still be with my psycho ex-girlfriend. :eek:

12. macrumors 65816

Re: Further Details Regarding Leaked Pro Mac

Vertically mounted??? As a user group technician I found out Apple did this on the 6500 and several other Macs and what resulted was many more hard drives that failed than normal for that kind of hard drive since they were never designed to be vertically mounted. One hopes that if the next PowerMac does have vertically mounted hard drives they can withstand the stress of gravity better than the 6500 hard drives.

13. macrumors 68020

mymemory

That is called "smoke bomb", the politicians uses that a lot when there is a corruption case going on, sometimes they spread news about a terrible disease or things like that.

I guess I will wait for the revision on this one too. I do not know why Apple is having so many troubles lunching a computer.

I think the pictures are real, they looks real. But is really suspicius such amount of specific information when we didn't have any before and just after the cheap keynote. Againg

Lets see .

14. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I was right

Not to gloat or anything, but it seems I actually called this one - even though it was a bit of speculation.

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=4638

But, and I'll stress this, its not a given that we will actually be seeing this, I'm still of the opinion its an old prototype.

D

15. macrumors newbie

can anyone mirror these pics for me?? or email?? captainwiggles@mac.com

missed all the action and now they're gone :mad:

16. macrumors regular

dekator

multi processor unit

errr... a multi-processor unit ?

17. macrumors member

Just because he's posting on a public forum doesn't mean people may or should be an ******* towards him.

18. macrumors 6502a

drastik

I'm all for this one. It has DDR, and it has a massive heat sink thats there to cool god knows what. It could be very cool and exactly what everyone's been aching for. I'll wait to get a look at it in the stores, then i'll talk about the case.

I will say that a lot of you PRO users, who relentlessly claim that the insides of the case matter, seem to be complaining the most about this enclusure design.

19. macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Check your private messages! :D

groovebuster

20. macrumors 6502a

drastik

Bunge is right, the only time you should jump down someones throat is if they are being offensive, or trying to start a war.:D

21. macrumors member

Re: Re: Further Details Regarding Leaked Pro Mac

Seems a bit strange to me too. Especially when Steve introduced the new iMac, he specifically said that one of the reasons for the final design was that it didn't have to have vertical drives, as they don't operate as well in that direction as they do horizontally. It would be strange if his opinion or technology had changed in the meantime. My guess too is that this is an oldish mock-up Apple prototype. Didn't someone say that the mainboard in the original leaked photos was copyrighted 2001?

22. macrumors 65816

groovebuster

I couldn't care less how they will look like, as long they don't have a case made of dog-**** and are as loud as a starting F-16!! ;)

All I care about is the insides of that new machine, that will come soon hopefully! :) That probably would make me forget a lot of my anger lately! :eek:

But first I want to see some benchmarks before I maybe shell out the money...

Oh... and that a$$hole thingy... I put a ;) behind that particular sentence to point out that it wasn't supposed to be taken all serious. If that is enough to piss that guy off I am sorry, but it is his problem then. I just didn't see the point why he is still in the thread posting, when all he's doing is telling us that he knows the specs but won't share them with us. This is just craving for attention and reminds me of kindergarten. So that he just left didn't do anything bad to the thread at all, he wouldn't have told more anyway... and if he was up to tell more, he wouldn't have reacted that sissy-like. And I am out of the age to beg someone to tell more. I guess you know what I mean. It would have been a real offense if I wouldn't have marked it as irony, but that way I don't get why people are upset. There were a lot more harsh things going on in the forum before and nobody really cares normally.

groovebuster

23. macrumors member

where are the black helicopters?

i don't get it, doesn't a team of laywers usually drop out of the sky with a cease and desist order a nanosecond after someone posts "leaked" photos of an upcoming apple product?

what does their absence imply?

1) they don't care? why not?
    2) they leaked the info themselves? doubtful.
    3) they're just slow? maybe.
    4) ???

24. macrumors newbie

Could someone point me towards a mirror also?

Thnx.

25. macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Re: Further Details Regarding Leaked Pro Mac

optical drives...