Further evidence of United Police States of America?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cursor, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

Is this legal? So cops are going to randomly storm buildings and demand to see ID, without ANY provocation or cause. This is amazing. Is this supposed to deter terrorism, or scare the crap of ordinary citizens? What is the ACLU going to do to defend us, sue the police department? I'm sure that will go far. :rolleyes: The link is below.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10247946/

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

The ACLU said they are monitoring the situation, and that they are pleased with how Miami is handling it so far...

I'm skeptical myself... but who knows...

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Real joined-up thinking. It'll be KBR and Blackwater killers on the streets next, shooting up civilian cars just to "keep people aware".

4. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

It eludes me, even as an American, why the government has not been overthrown.

Terrible decision after terrible decision, and it seems people generally agree things are horrible and only getting worse.

Instead of proactively doing something about it, I guess we'd rather wait and see if the next president, or the next one, or even the next one, will retroactively fix things. Something tells me that's not going to happen either.

5. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Total BS. This isn't going to stop anything.

How many people live in the United States, how many people live in each state, how many people live in Miami alone - to catch a handful of would be terrorists. Needle in a haystack.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Take a look through People Magazine sometime and you'll see why this country is going down the sewer. Our priorities are ALL ****ed up for real.

7. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

With homeland security, though largely commercial contracts and hot air at the moment - will the State's will have it's own Iron Curtain by the end of the decade?

8. mpw Guest

Probably true as far as terrorism goes. But think how many outstanding arrest warrants for petty crimes will get served. Or how many people who try to get away from one of these awe inspiring shows of force wil get shot trying to avoid being picked up for that speeding ticket they never paid.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thank God I live in Canada. We have our issues too of course, as every country does, but we're nowhere near in the condition the USA is in - this is yet another prime example of that. :cool:

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Well wait a minute, you don't even have a functioning central government right now. :p :D

11. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

How many people will get shot for 'appearing' to run from the scene?

Personally if there are a bunch of thugs rushing towards me with guns, I'm not going to hang around until they show some ID.

12. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Yeah, they wanted an extended Xmas break!

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

yeah apparently a vote of no confidence means nothing to them canadians :p

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Perhaps the US should give it a thought and follow suit - think it might improve things? :p :D

15. iGary Guest

iGary

Prolly would. :D

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

At least ours was official, and recognized. Sounds like there has been an "informal" vote of no confidence in your "leader" for quite a while now... :p ;)

Oh, and "them canadians" isn't proper grammar - I'll just assume our schools teach better grammar up here than in the States. ;) :D

Kay, as much fun as it is goofing off in the Political Forums like this, I think I'll go back to the normal Forums now - this has never really been my thing... ;) :cool:

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm all for that. I wish we could do a recall on Bush.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i posted this recently...

<repost>

from this ACLU pamphlet (pdf format):
    and from here:
    </repost>

my read is that yes, the police can ask for I.D., but unless you're in a car, you don't have to provide it. they can also offer a pamphlet, but you don't have to take it.

personally, i won't submit to such gestapo crap. if i'm minding my own business and am asked for I.D., i'll refuse and ask if i'm under arrest. if they say no, i'll walk away.

if they arrest me, i'll demand a lawyer.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Papiere, bitte?

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Bingo. Without being dramatic or godwining this thread, I can say this is straight out of the Nazi playbook.

The fact that this tactic is happening mean we lose our rights. The blanket checking of IDs of random people like this, while perhaps not a direct affront to the Bill of Rights, becomes a sprung trap for systematic violations of the Constitution.

"Can I see your ID?"

"No."

"Why not -- hey, freeze, buddy."

"Am I under arrest?"

"Can I see some ID?"

"Why?"

"Why not? You got something to hide?"

(angrily)"No." (starts walking away, gets knocked down, arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest)

Why not ask for voter registrations?

"Oh, I see you're a registered Democrat. Don't you support brave leader? Why do you hate America?"

21. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

And how is checking everyone's ID going to stop a terrorist from ramming a truck-bomb into the building?

It's all a bunch of crap to make the sheeple feel better. The fact that it also erodes civil liberties and puts even more power into the hands of the police is just an added bonus.

22. tristan macrumors 6502a

It doesn't even make any sense at all in terms of terrorist incident prevention. How will cops checking IDs stop people who want to blow themselves up in crowded places? Mohammed Atta had an ID.

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

offtopic:
    so did the austrian mail-bomber Franz Fuchs who got caught in a random car control because 2 police officiers _thought_ the driver was acting suspicious
    Franz Fuchs thought that the police "got" him and tried to blow himself up with a explosive device but failed

nowadays he would be called a terrorists

the thing is the same with normal criminals... it's paranoia at work..don't underestimate it

ontopic:
    why does police have to show force at a hotel ? that doesn't make any sense to me at all

24. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

FUX NEWS has a feature on it tonight. The whole looks rather interesting, and even though I personally wouldn't have a TOO much of a problem with it, I think that police have to be awfully careful not to abuse their new powers (and i'm sure that won't happen :rolleyes: ) and raise the hackles of their inhabitants.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Why can't I work up much outrage over this? Hardly a day goes by when I'm not asked to show an ID to someone. Am I supposed to feel reassured that the request comes from a clerk at a supermarket and not a police officer?