Further the Mac cause, College students. Especially with WMP 10 coming

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dontmatter, Aug 30, 2004.

1. dontmatter macrumors 6502a

So, this is just going on my little pet theory, that many have heard already. On my campus, last year, itunes was rare, and there was little to browse of shared music. Then, mytunes swept campus, and itunes with it, and itms, etc. There were vicious battles over itunes 4.6 because it broke mytunes, with people going to desperate lenghts to go back to 4.5. Itunes began a slow decline in favor ever since.

Now, virtually every computer around will have microsoft's music store, and itunes, well, not so much. Just like explorer, and so many other items, people will use it by default, because it's there, and it will win not because of any redeeming features, but because it's there.

how you can help: share your library on itunes. it's awesome, and is the single biggest thing making itunes different and better. If you don't mind filesharing, make the name of your music library (accesible through itunes preferences) something like "MYTUNES is back! Get OurTunes at ot.f00f.com, browse and download itunes shared music."

Then, itunes spreads, because the pot heads watch itunes visualizer, the computer phobic see the ease of use, the trendy have ipods, and everyone else likes access to everybody else's music. More than that, it makes it a fair fight between itunes music store and microsoft's store, because more PC's will have both stores right there, and so merit can win. to the most fit, go the spoils!

2. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Something tells me iTunes is not suffering on my campus, judging by the number of white earbuds I see.

But they did just sign a deal with Real. Grr... :mad:

3. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

u know that just b/c someone has an iPod doesn't mean they're necessarily using iTunes...

there are a ton of alternative apps to aid in transfering music to and from the iPod. Take ephpod for instance.

4. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Right. Good point.

5. dontmatter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Perhaps, but still, most people still don't have the earbuds, and that's what matters, particularly if you like the shared music feature of itunes.

6. Santiago macrumors regular

Given the broad appeal of the iPod and the negligible amount of hacking about or third-party programs used by most people for anything, I'd say that for every person using an iPod without iTunes there's another 100 that are using iTunes.

7. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

heh you're pretty close actually.

Using some stats from download.com (what i call a mainstream d/l site), ephpod has 24k d/l's while iTunes carries a whopping 1,000k d/ls.

So it comes to maybe 2.4%

I guess it makes sense.

*edit*
    even stranger is that MusicMatch Jukebox 9.0 can connect to the iPod, and it has a even higher d/l rate, 5,000k vs. 1,000k for iTunes. In either case we can't assume that b/c u use an app, u have an iPod. I've had iTunes for almost a year, and i'm w/o an iPod cuz i haven't saved up yet.

8. Santiago macrumors regular

24,000 vs 1,400,000, actually. And that's from Download.com, which probably represents a small percentage of overall iTunes downloads (as most people probably get it from Apple's site, which can be easily reached by going to itunes.com) while it's probably a very substantial percentage of ephpod's download. Also, you get iTunes included in the box with the iPod; a lot of people won't download anything at all.

9. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

ummm.....

24k and 24,000 are the same thing.

Anyway, this is a little off topic but the first post made me think about this. Around my campus (university of vermont) I see so many people with the white earbuds. Last year, when the iPod REALLY started taking off, it was kinda cool to see all those people wearing them. Now it almost makes me mad when I see them because all I think is that person is trying to follow the new "fad". Maybe I have this feeling because I had the iPod when it first came out (got is first week of Dec. 01') and people thought I was crazy then for spending that much money just to have a "music" player.

Us Apple people tend follow the road less traveled and now I don't feel like I am doing that anymore. I don't even wear the white headphones anymore because I don't want people to know i have an iPod. I don't really know why it makes me mad, just does.

10. Santiago macrumors regular

Yes, but 1,000k and 1,400,000 aren't, which was why I restated that part.

11. dontmatter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahh, but you care about your image of not being image concerned. I see. ;-)

That's what I do with music.