Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I suggest you do the same then look at just how many motherboards actually had an Apple Firewire, or Sony iLink port, or if they did/do how many of them have more than one. Firewire is a niche market as it always has been that never cracked the mainstream market in the way USB did and continues to do.

Quite a lot. Most OEM's included it on their 2000-2005 desktops. Notably Dell, Sony, IBM/Lenovo, and Gateway. It was more prevalent on their portable computers than their desktops. Intell had a few boards with it as did ASUS. Even cable TV boxes have the option of FireWire.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Quite a lot. Most OEM's included it on their 2000-2005 desktops. Notably Dell, Sony, IBM/Lenovo, and Gateway. It was more prevalent on their portable computers than their desktops. Intell had a few boards with it as did ASUS. Even cable TV boxes have the option of FireWire.

Quite a few, but even still if we ask the average home user what Firewire is, the likelihood unless they own a digital video recorder is that they would never have even heard of what Firewire was even if there motherboard had a firewire port on it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Maybe Dell, Gateway, IBM/Lenovo, and Sony is different in Australia, but IEEE 1394 was on about 60% of their lineups on the first half of the 2000's. Most end users knew and still know what an IEEE 1394 port is. Even if they call it "that strange thing that connects to my microphone/hard drive/cable box/camera". It's well known to many in the US.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Yeah it is, but with one major fault either way you look at it of having two points of failure which is why I would shy away from it until all the cards are on the table as to just how often it does fail. It is an elegant solution I agree though and I'm not contending that it is anything otherwise.

Well, the alternative is live with slow performance, no space or waste time doing manual data movement yourself.

Given that everyone should have a backup in case of failure/theft/etc anyway, I (and I'm sure apple, as well) see the increased failure rate as an acceptable trade-off.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Maybe Dell, Gateway, IBM/Lenovo, and Sony is different in Australia, but IEEE 1394 was on about 60% of their lineups on the first half of the 2000's. Most end users knew and still know what an IEEE 1394 port is. Even if they call it "that strange thing that connects to my microphone/hard drive/cable box/camera". It's well known to many in the US.

I've worked in and around IT for nearly 15 years now, a lot of that time with Windows PCs, plenty of Mac users know Firewire like the back of their hand, however in building PCs I've come to realise I've seen 1 maybe 2 firewire ports on most motherboards. Off the shelf/store bought PCs with propitiatory motherboards manufactured by specific brands, this may be a different case it's nothing I've really dealt with because it's the exception not the norm unless you're working where corporate support is needed that most of these grey box PC suppliers sell complete and utter junk that does the job just well enough to keep their tech support in a job, but not well enough not to frustrate the living daylights out of yourself.

The couple of industries where I've seen firewire come up often is in audio for desks and mixers, video conversion, capture and reccording devices and high speed data transfer where reliability is valued over flash in the pan "bursty" buses like USB.

That said, USB3 and Thunderbolt have gone and changed the game again.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Here's your problem.

However in building PCs I've come to realise I've seen 1 maybe 2 firewire ports on most motherboards. Off the shelf/store bought PCs with propitiatory motherboards manufactured by specific brands, this may be a different case.

Most consumers do not build their own computer. In the early 2000's they would have gotten a catalog from Dell/HP/IBM/Lenovo/Gateway and looked at their options. They then would have called them up and placed their order along with any BTO options. 60% of those mass production computers had IEEE 1394 built in. When looking at it from this prospective, one could come to the conclusion that non-mainstream was to not have an IEEE 1394 port on one's computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.