Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
How many partitions can you realistically put on a Mac with fusion drive? I have a 2014 Mac mini with a 1TB Fusion drive 1.4Ghz (i added the 1TB and 128GB ssd - both apple branded) aftermarket from the stock 500GB and did the createCoreStorage UUID jhfs+ Macintosh HD 100% command to create the fusion drive.

I wanted to do a windows partition + 2 macOS partitions El Cap + Sierra

According to an Apple KB it says only one partition can be created, but Iam actually able to create as many as needed it appears. So I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my fusion drive?
Disk utility & System profiler see it as a fusion drive and running the diskutil cs UUID command states Fusion drive is enabled.

No complaints, just want to make sure if i do partition the fusion drive I'm still actually able to use it as a fusion drive.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
How many partitions can you realistically put on a Mac with fusion drive? I have a 2014 Mac mini with a 1TB Fusion drive 1.4Ghz (i added the 1TB and 128GB ssd - both apple branded) aftermarket from the stock 500GB and did the createCoreStorage UUID jhfs+ Macintosh HD 100% command to create the fusion drive.

I wanted to do a windows partition + 2 macOS partitions El Cap + Sierra

According to an Apple KB it says only one partition can be created, but Iam actually able to create as many as needed it appears. So I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my fusion drive?
Disk utility & System profiler see it as a fusion drive and running the diskutil cs UUID command states Fusion drive is enabled.

No complaints, just want to make sure if i do partition the fusion drive I'm still actually able to use it as a fusion drive.
Here is an Apple link with some info, interesting about the added partition not being part of the fusion.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Thats the link i was referring to without actually referring to it.

So I'm wondering if anyone with a factory Fusion drive can create multiple partitions or has apple now have some sort of extra process to determine authentic fusion vs custom?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I think that is more of a Disk Utility and Bootcamp limitation than it is a hard limit with Fusion. You can make as many partitions as you want using those Terminal commands and from what I have seen everything works just fine.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
I think that is more of a Disk Utility and Bootcamp limitation than it is a hard limit with Fusion. You can make as many partitions as you want using those Terminal commands and from what I have seen everything works just fine.

Thanks, I just tried it on a factory fusion configuration and using disk utility - no commands can create multiple partitions. SO i figured it was maybe something erroneous with my fusion set-up but everything seems to checkout.
It looks like using disk utility you can create multiple partitions + a bootcamp. not sure if its an OS X update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.