Fusion Drive Speed Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by darkanddivine, Nov 30, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Jan 13, 2007
    So, on the new BTO options, is it safe to assume that in the 21" the fusion drive is a 5200RPM drive with SSD, and the 27" has a 7200RPM drive with a SSD, or are they the same spec? I can find tech specs on the regular drives, but not what each Fusion is.
  2. macrumors newbie

Nov 30, 2012
    mechanical drive speed in Fusion Drive option..

After chatting with Apple, they have confirmed that when you pay $250 to select the 1TB Fusion upgrade on the 21.5" model, you still get a 5400RPM drive for the mechanical drive. They were NOT able, however, to confirm the link speed of the SSD. That remains an unknown i guess at this point.

they also confirmed that the Fusion drive in the 27" model would stick with the 7200RPM drive as is the base non-fusion drive. ...again, no word on the link speed of the SSD in the 27"model though.
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 13, 2007
    Thanks for the info. I like the idea of fusion, but I think based on this I'm sticking with standard drives as there are few too many unanswered questions on Fusion to lay down $$$s right away.
  4. macrumors 6502

Mar 12, 2010
    What unanswered questions are there? Fusion is pretty cool technology. For $250 your apps will run like they're on ssd, and you have access to hard drive amounts of storage. I can't see why a person wouldn't use fusion.