Fussy USB devices.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WilliamDu, Jan 27, 2013.

1. macrumors member

With only four USB ports on the 2012 iMacs, there is a problem in that some USB devices insist on being plugged directly into a computer port, rather than a hub.

Does anyone know of a seven port hub that provides what these fussy devices need, so they will function as though they are plugged into the computer:confused:

2. macrumors 603

You need a powered hub, it sounds like. What devices are being fussy?

3. WilliamDu, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013

thread starter macrumors member

My powered hubs only satisfy some devices.

I have a 7 port Belkin USB2 and a Connectland 4 port USB2 hub, both powered.

Neither will satisfy my Saitek joystick, the sensor feed for my APC UPS, the Apple SuperDrive that SHOULD have been built in (Hello Tim Cook), or my LaCie D2 Hard Drive.

That's all four available ports right there with none left for expansion.

If I can find a good Thunderbolt 3TB external drive that I can afford to cover my 3TB FD, that will free up one of the USBs, but I have not yet tried the DVI capability to connect my HDTV.

At least these two powered hubs don't cut the mustard:(

4. macrumors 603

The Apple drive doesn't work on anything but the actual ports of the computer as far as I'm aware...

Your other devices I'm not sure what to tell you. A powered hub should take care of all of it... :confused:

I'm very surprised something as simple as the sensor from your UPS wouldn't work with the hub!

5. thread starter macrumors member

The instructions with the Apple Superdrive state computer slot only and they are correct.

I've just lived without the UPS sensor on the G5 the new iMac replaced, but the drive is going to cause a problem and pretty much force buying a Thunderbolt when the prices come down some. They're pretty outrageous so far as I can see. I've tested the other no hub tolerance devices on both powered hubs.

The G5 MacPro tower was less of a problem with a USB port on the front easy to get to.

I've got an Apple store about 30 minutes away, but some of their "experts" are "experts" in a pretty basic way, so I thought I might find better advice here.

6. macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

As for hubs in general. Since I have the mid-2011 27" iMac, I have a superdrive, Wired Keyboard/Mouse Combo, UPS sensor line plugged directly to my mac. Then I have a 24-Port USB 2.0 hub plugged into the last port to handle all my iOS devices, external backup drives, flash drives, and whatever I may need to plug into it at the time.

Here is link to the hub if anyone is interested. It is powered as well.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CITJhfO3i7UCFRQcnAodAzoAHQ

and more pics here

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e5...e=google_pla&gclid=CMazspK4i7UCFQWonQodfwwAKg

7. thread starter macrumors member

Looks like a winner.