Futurama coming back?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MattG, Dec 20, 2005.

1. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

*sigh* I miss it too.

Secret: I've got all the DVDs. Not only do I know the words for every episode off by heart, I also know the Directors' Commentary off by heart too. I need new material!

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

3. Golden_315 macrumors member

OMGWTFBBQ? This is pretty cool news. First Family Guy and now Futurama. I really hope it goes through.

If Bender leaves you in sticthes you might wanna check yourself to makesure you have your wallet and internal organs.

4. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

omfg...that would be so awesome. futurama is definitely one of the best shows out there--the parodies and the writing in general are just genius.

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Yes, I agree whole-heartedly!

Futurama, when will you come out? Soon? Please?

7. mpw Guest

OT: Is your 'tar a Ricky Gervais reference? I got an iPod last week and subscribed to his podcast. I felt really stoopid walking through town today doing some shopping laughing out loud to something no-one else could hear.

8. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Yeah I think he mentioned somewhere in the Ricky Gervais podcast topic he had just found an avatar:p

Good ol monkey news and Futurama

In NZ we have just got one Family Guy per week and 7 Simpson episodes.

9. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Yea! Which reminds me...I haven't listened to this week's. I'll have to put it on my iPod for tomorrow!

10. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

Futurama is genius. I'm betting the reason they took it off is because it most people didn't get it - it's more selective than The Simpsons - which, incidentally, has turned to *****.

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

This is great news. Futurama is one of the best shows ever, and it was outrageous that it was cancelled so early. I've never understood why Futurama (and Farscape, that got axed about the same time) has to die.

New episodes would just be awesome... :D

12. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

They get axed because television is all about selling advertising space. Anything that doesn't get high enough viewing figures, or too high a proportion of an unprofitable demographic isn't worthwhile enough for the host station to consider continuing. This could be for a number of reasons; the show could be crap (or, more precisely, the wrong kind of crap) or, most likely in Futurama’s case, too high-brow – thus alienating too many people. This is also the reason why The Simpsons is still going, it may have gone drastically downhill in terms of intelligent content, but, as they wryly said in the 138th Episode Spectacular it’ll keep running ‘until such time as the show becomes unprofitable’.

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yay!

Now I just have to hope that it gets shown in the UK soon after the US and not on Sky (which will never happen). Or it goes straight to DVD. Or (hushed voice) get torrents.

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I guess I'll have to watch a bit more of it. Haven't really got into Futurama, a mate of mine was a fan but I just didn't get the belly laughs that The Simpsons or Family Guy gave me. It was strictly a chuckle-only show for me. For me, Futurama is to The Simpsons what American Dad is to Family Guy - made by the same guy but just failing to be as funny as their original work. It's like they tried to make something different but there are so many remnants of the older shows in them.

15. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

I didn't appreciate it until I bought the DVDs and got to watch the first few episodes, which I had never seen before. I didn't know the background of it. Once I knew that, it made a lot more sense and everything was much funnier.

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I saw the first few episodes and thought "meh." I'd buy the DVDs but I just don't have the moolah at the moment and there are other shows I'd rather have, House, The Muppet Show, M*A*S*H etc.

Just a bit off topic, it's cool being able to encode all these shows and have them in iTunes, Lostify means I can put them into the TV Show section where they belong. Hopefully I'll get a nice big external HDD for XMas and get them all off these damned CD's. Once that happens I think there'll be a lot more DVD's on their way to me.

17. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

FUTURAMA IS COMING BACK! according to Billy West (actor who did a number of the character voices in Futurama including Fry, Prof. Farnsworth, Zoidberg, Zapp Branigan) :)

Quoted from:
    http://www.billywest.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1685&PN=1&TPN=4

18. greg555 macrumors 6502a

I'm glad they're coming back (I have all the DVDs) but I wonder if it will work as well as full length movies.

Greg

19. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If this is true it's probably the best TV related news ever... :) :) : )

I think I wet my pants a little™. :D

20. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Crosses fingers and prays it does come back. I used to watch Family Guy, but didn't get back into it when it showed up on TV again, it got old to me. Futurama is always funny, even if I've seen the same episode 5 times.

21. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Yes.

Although, I also seem to remember that Fox didn't cancel Futurama per se, they simply halted production since they felt there was some sort of surplus of episodes. Does anyone else remember this?

Granted, "halting production" is pretty much the same kiss of death as cancellation, but there's some sort of semantic difference between the two that might have a greater meaning in Hollywood then anywhere else. Who knows, it's TV... :rolleyes:

22. Aarow macrumors 6502a

I hope it does come back. I've already watched all the ones they've shown on Adult Swim, or so it seems.

23. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Yeah -- I could watch the DVDs over and over and not get tired of them, but it would sure be nice to see some new material!

24. FireArse macrumors 6502a