Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
It's pretty amazing tech they are developing. The whole thing sounds like another battery drain with the constant sensor checks. I can adjust my alert sounds as I go about my business, I've done it since the first iPhone in 9 years ago...

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
It's pretty amazing tech they are developing. The whole thing sounds like another battery drain with the constant sensor checks. I can adjust my alert sounds as I go about my business, I've done it since the first iPhone in 9 years ago...

Sounds like they are trying to make it 'idiot proof', but nature always seems to make better idiots...

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Sounds like they are trying to make it 'idiot proof', but nature always seems to make better idiots...
One exec I worked for often said, "Make something that is so simple any idiot can use it, that is your customer base." Kinda explains how fickle the end user crowd of Apple products can be at time.

kdarling

macrumors P6
In one example, an iPhone sends a notification audio signal to the Watch before playing an audible alert. The receiving timepiece analyses the wave signal and compares it against a stored reference signal based on ambient noise samples. Through a combination of sound threshold analyses, the Apple Watch then sends the appropriate command to raise or lower the iPhone's output volume.

If I understand this correctly, I wonder if they plan to use "mosquito sounds" outside of most people's hearing for the test "notification audio signal". Otherwise we're going to be driven crazy by iOS devices all over a room checking their sound levels!

iPhone in pocket: beep?
Apple Watch: hello phone, I don't think our owner could hear that.

iPhone in pocket: BeeP?
Apple Watch: almost loud enough...

iPhone in pocket: BEEP!
Apple Watch: there ya go!

j/k :D

SadBoy Pro

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2016
UK
I've had experience with this sort of tech before (as I'm sure many of you have) My dads Audi, 2004 model, has a sound setting called GALA, this in turn raises and lowers the volume of the sound system depending on the level of noise inside the cockpit. One thing is for certain, when you slow down to stop at the lights and your loud music suddenly drops and goes quiet it is beyond infuriating, one has set the volume one is comfortable listening to the audio, one does not wish it to change. If used for the purposes of raising and lowering audio volumes for music or video playback this will only prove to an enraging feature for me which would have to have an off switch.

However I am a fan of the idea that if I have my phone on ringer and the volume is set too low for my surroundings that it can intelligently give a greater output to be audible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.