Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun seeding the Golden Master version of the iPhone OS 3.2 SDK to developers. This represents the shipping version of the software that developers must use to develop iPad applications. Meanwhile, Apple has also simultaneously posted two new files to their servers including the iPad licensing agreement and iPad 3.2 Firmware:

- iPadDocumentation_3.2.ipd
- iPad1,1_3.2_7B367_Restore.ipsw

The firmware file (download link) carries a final build number of 7B367 but is of little use at this time without an iPad to install it on. The iPad Documentation file (download link) simply provides the end-user licensing agreement for the iPad software.

The iPad licensing software provides the usual legal documentation for use of Apple's software, Google Maps and YouTube videos, but also reveals one interesting aspect of Apple's plans for iPad OS updates:
Apple will provide you any iPad OS software updates that it may release from time to time, up to and including the next major iPad OS software release following the version of iPad OS software that originally shipped from Apple on your iPad, for free. For example, if your iPad originally shipped with iPad 3.x software, Apple would provide you with any iPad OS software updates it might release up to and including the iPad 4.x software release. Such updates and releases may not necessarily include all of the new software features that Apple releases for newer iPad models.
Current iPod Touch owners have had to pay for each major OS software update, while iPhone owners have received their updates for free. The reasoning behind this policy has been blamed on legal accounting requirements.

It appears iPad owners will fall somewhere in the middle. iPad owners will receive the next major OS update (4.x in the case of new iPad owners) for free, but may have to pay for the next major upgrade (5.x).

Article Link: Future Apple's iPad OS Upgrade Pricing Policies Revealed as Apple Seeds GM iPad SDK, Firmware and Licensing Agreement

gigidey

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2008
I would guess that the reason for this is that 4.0 is most likely coming soon, and they didn't want to charge for an update that is coming out only a few months after the launch.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Assuming the iPhone will be treated similarly, looks like it’s the end of the line for updates to my original iPhone.

I can accept that. It’s been a good 2 1/2 years.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I would guess that the reason for this is that 4.0 is most likely coming soon, and they didn't want to charge for an update that is coming out only a few months after the launch.

That didn't keep Apple from charging iPod Touch users in the past, even though their customers bought an iPod Touch with an already out-dated firmware, because Apple still had those machines on stock and didn't find it necessary to update them.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The iPhone shouldn't be treated in a similar way. A=They are more expensive and doesn't Apple get a cut every month?

They allegedly do/did get a cut of the original iPhone’s monthly revenue, but it was changed over to full upfront subsidy from AT&T with the 3G. Who knows about the other carriers.

The writing is on the wall for the original iPhone though. We received 2.x and 3.x for free.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
One of the main reasons why i bought my dads 2G iPhone to use a iPod touch :) didn't have to pay for 3.0 was a nice bonus.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
"Such updates and releases may not necessarily include all of the new software features that Apple releases for newer iPad models. "
??
Like a camera and it's software? What else would this cover?

wallinbl

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2003
Try having an Android phone! You just get left in the dust while new hardware gets new versions of Android, and you're wondering WTF is up with the lack of updates for existing phones.

outZider

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2000
The article is misleading, as nothing is mentioned of paying for the update or not. I think they're saying that the next major release will definitely have compatibility for that model, but the release after that may not have compatibility with that iPad.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
"Such updates and releases may not necessarily include all of the new software features that Apple releases for newer iPad models. "
??
Like a camera and it's software? What else would this cover?

Little things like how the iPod touch 3Gs firmware has Accessibility options but that was not made available to previous generation iPod touch owners, even though their hardware is certainly capable of displaying black on white..

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It appears iPad owners will fall somewhere in the middle. iPad owners will receive the next major OS update (4.x in the case of new iPad owners) for free, but may have to pay for the next major upgrade (5.x).

The bigger question is will 5.x (in this scenario) be made available at all for a legacy device?

At some point, you’re catering to a very small crowd.

Apple already has a hard enough time trying to get iPhone and iPod touch users to update to the latest point release. You start talking about offering 5.x for iPad for a nominal fee like $10 (like the iPod touch, etc), the number of iPad owners using outdated/old firmware increases dramatically.

And what happens if the hardware hasn’t changed? For example, say next March you purchase a Generation 1 iPad a month before the Generation 2 iPad comes out (assuming a once per year update cycle).

Then in June, Apple announces 5.x. They’ll have some Gen. 1 iPad owners getting 5.x for free and other Gen. 1 iPad owners paying a nominal fee for it. That’s not very Apple-like and would be a support nightmare.

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
They allegedly do/did get a cut of the original iPhone’s monthly revenue, but it was changed over to full upfront subsidy from AT&T with the 3G. Who knows about the other carriers.

The writing is on the wall for the original iPhone though. We received 2.x and 3.x for free.

2.x for the App store, right? 3.x for the copy/paste and other 'features.' I hope my 3G is eligible for the 4.0 update!

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
My guess is that 4.x will come out in June / July with the new iPhone. Charging iPad users for an upgrade that fast would piss a lot of people off. So ya good thing they are going to include the first upgrade.

I hope they keep the price reasonable though. $10 is ok with me. $20 would be annoying, anything more would piss me off. Knowing Apple though they are going to charge $40 - $50 for the upgrade ... blah.

Come on Apple, get me my 3G iPad!

(The wait is killing me)

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006

That is my guess. Apple will be progressing the iPhone OS more and more over time across products and I doubt they would take a gouge on R&D cost like this!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I wouldn’t normally expect any “major” OS versions for free—but with OS 4.x almost certainly coming within months, it only makes sense to get it.

Now, when people buy a 4.x iPad later this year, will the terms be changed so they don’t get 5.x for free?

If the “next version free” policy is for real and here to stay, I like it :) Bring it to iPods too! (I’d say Macs... but Mac OS versions tend to be even bigger and more spaced-out. Probably not going to happen.)

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The Bottom Line

The bottom line is this is V1.0 and V2 will have considerably different hardware that will enable software capabilities V1 cannot do.

They promise to give V1 hardware 2 versions of software support.

The real question is if V1 hardware in 3 years will be treated like OS 9.2 or treated like OS 10.3 . . . . . .

They still tolerate OS 10.4 FTR. That can't last long. 10.6.3 is barely stable and 10.5.x was a bit of an issue . . . .

TOS 3.x is at least more stable if not more capable. TOS 4.x will have basic desktop capabilities almost to par with OS 7.5.

Rocketman

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
Sounds like a catch all to me and I suspect that not even Apple has a firm understanding of what they will be doing in the future. While we are talking about software updates, cant they do this stuff over the air? It takes sooooooo long for me to sync my iphone. At least if it did it over the air while I was sleeping or something I would be less annoyed. It should be optionally kept in sync at all times.

NeedleStripe

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
Apple doesn't say they'll give you anything after 4.0 for free. They reserve the right to charge you for 4.0.1. This makes no sense to me.

Of course they'll provide free bugfix releases. Apple is fanatical about stability, which was the stated reason for having dictatorial control over the app store. I can't imagine them not providing 4.0.1 for free. They can charge for it, but they won't. Right?

But then there will be a fee to upgrade to a later 4.x release? That's crazy. Apple is the king of simple product lines, and now they're telling me that an upgrade from 3.x to 4.0 is free while an upgrade from 3.x to 4.1 costs money? I'd rather they keep it simple and charge only for major updates.

Apple, please, either provide major releases, and all point releases thereto, for free--"up to but excluding the second major release"--or don't include the next major release at all--"up to but excluding the next major release".

Or can somebody explain why they would want to oblige themselves to provide 4.0 for free but not 4.1? They may well provide all 4.x releases for free to 3.x customers, but why not say so in the license?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah, I'll take some iPhone OS 5.0 please.

kthxbai

But seriously, 4.0 in June, July, or August? Seems to be later than usual since we haven't had any OS 4.0 event yet. My money is on mid to late July.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.