Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The new member

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Could this be true? A small cell phone module will be plugable on the futur widescreen iPod :rolleyes:

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
i doubt it.

apple won't want to deter people from buying the iPhone.

if you want the iPod - then get the new widescreen touch one (when it comes out eventually/hopefully)

if you want a phone - get iPhone...

ur idea would just make a cheap way of combining the two and making iPhone completely pointless.

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Apple doesn't like things that clip, slide, twirl, or in any way don't look clean and elegant. I suppose in the future you could use a big paper clip, and "clip" a phone to your widescreen iPod.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I can't see it happening (at least anytime soon), and by the way, it's spelled "future".

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Not going to happen. The two are distinct product lines, and the hardware needed to convert an iPod to an iPhone would essentially be everything except the drive.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I have to agree. They are two completely separate product lines.

The big worry to me is that Apple is claiming that this is the merger of cell phone and "widescreen" iPod, but it only has 4-8 GB of flash memory. So when they come out with the "real" widescreen iPod, with an 80-120 GB hard drive, people will STILL want both.

Too bad adding a hard drive to the iPhone would make it both big and clunky, as well as have ridiculous battery life.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Too bad adding a hard drive to the iPhone would make it both big and clunky, as well as have ridiculous battery life.

how do u figure. them 5.5 g vid ipods seem pretty thin to me and i don't see major gains in battery life between a nano and one of those:rolleyes:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Of course not.

Apple will want you to buy a new device.

Since when has Apple ever offered some sort of 'upgrade path'?

For example, if you want more memory in your iPod, you buy a new iPod instead of the ability to insert a higher capacity memory card.

Hell, they can't even offer *user* replaceable batteries!!!

( iPod batteries are not designed to be user servicable - when I mean user replaceable I mean as easy as replacing flash light, cell phone batteries).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.