Future iPods

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ensign Paris, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I am just thinking of where the iPods can go now, sure Apple could upgrade them to 30gb or 40gb but most people don't have that amount of music. I suppose over time it will become more like a PDA but without Apple ever saying that it is a PDA. What do you think? Could we be seeing colour screens in the iPod?

Ensign

2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Because of the iPods form factor, capacity is driven by Toshiba (and other drive manufacturers in the future).

I have 100+GB of MP3, but I can live with 16GB in my pocket (an a small home directory).

The iPod can only go so far without input. If I'm hitting on a girl in a pub, and can't put her number in the iPod, it is not a PDA...

3. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I think the iPod would be even more killer with some attachments and software stuff.

How about FireWire CF, SmartMedia, etc. card readers that you could plugin and DL your digital photos to.

A stripped down version of imagecapture for it.

And the ability to view the files you have stored on it.

Password protection to that section perhaps as well. That way when my buddies are picking songs in my car, they can't see what I have in the files section.

Would be perfect then I think.

4. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

some nice idea there MM, my father has always wanted to be able to plug his iPod into his DV camera to get extra recording time so it would be cool if he could actually do it :)

Ensign

5. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Thanks. It just seems to me like a sort-of waste to carry a bunch of CF cards, or a digital wallet, or worse, my tibook around with me just so i can download photos when i have a perfectly good harddrive in my pocket. :)

And the ability to view files seems like such a nobrainer.... Hopefully we'll see stuff like that. It's a "pod" and erego, it shouldn't stop at music. And so far, it hasn't.

m