Future Look: OpenGL 2.0

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by vniow, Nov 12, 2002.

1. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i think i speak for most of us when i say that i hope OpenGL 2.0 will put an end to this DirectX madness. they've been talking about opengl 2.0 for a while now, but i've never heard of any set date when it is to be finished. i've also heard a little bit about OpenML which attempts to incorporate other types of media. i think that there are some graphics cards for pcs (wildcats and one by sonicblue i think) that support OpenML. lets hope that someday soon, this all manages to converge. check out www.jahshaka.com for info on a new video editing app that incorporates GL and ML (and is supposed to incorporate GL 2.0 when it's done). the developers say that it will make it to the mac very shortly.

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i guess that OpenGL 2 would mean we could have heaps cooler stuff, better effects?

sounds good to me. :D

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ah, OpenML looks to be quite nice - I can't imagine why Apple hasn't gotten up to speed with that, its probably just a matter of time though.

I'm looking forward to a new version of OpenGL - but it will most likely have the unfortunate effect of requiring upgrades to several software packages of mine :rolleyes:

D