Future MacBook Pro Owners.... Names for Your Computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by elbirth, Feb 9, 2006.

1. elbirth macrumors 65816

I'm just curious to see what everyone is planning on naming their MacBooks once they arrive and get set up. I know there are a lot of people that like to have certain naming conventions for all of their computers (names of greek gods, astronomy-related names, etc).

I'm still trying to decide what I'll name mine... I want more than just something simple like "MBP" or "MacBook".... something that's an actual name with personality and strength.

Ideas?

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i have an ibook which i call "ibook"...i could call it blueberry ibook, clamshell ibook, or rev a ibook, but "ibook" works just fine

if i got a new macbook pro, i would probably call it powerbook because it looks like the powerbooks of past years

i know people could scold me about one having an intel processor and one having had a ppc processor, but i don't really need those type of details since i have taken most of the prereq classes for a phd in computer engineering...and decided that was about as much computerspeak that i can take in a lifetime

3. shadowkhas, Feb 9, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  4. FongMan macrumors regular

FongMan

Well i live in Jamaica and we talk patois (patwa) and since is my first Mac i going call it "Missa Mac" (Mister Mac in proper english) :D

5. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

I'm planning on getting the second Revision of the MacBook Pro after they get the minor bugs outta this first model and maybe even the 2nd ones will surpass the 2 Ghz speed! :D

When I own that second Rev.... I will call it "Superbook" Then I will go everywhere with it show how uncomparable it is to the miniscule machines out there. Hahah

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

but don't leave it unattended when you go to the bathroom in public...i always took my laptop with me if i went to the coffee counter or the bathroom, or to browse a book

7. jacobj macrumors 65816

jacobj

How long can they be?

I promise to be a bug free machine and to never be the cause of my owners worries.

8. jacobj macrumors 65816

jacobj

Is that after the philosopher or the cartoon?

9. elbirth thread starter macrumors 65816

if his current computer is named Calvin, I think you'll have your answer ;)

10. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Wrong but close. Convert the 6 in my username into roman numerals.

11. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Probably 'MacBook Pro'.

My PowerBook G4 is named 'PowerBook G4', PowerBook G3 'PowerBook G3', and my eMac is named 'eMac'. My two iMacs are named 'Graphite iMac' and 'Bondi iMac', my three PowerMac G3's are named 'Power Macintosh G3 MT', 'Power Macintosh G3 DT', and 'PowerMac G3'. (I use 'PowerMac' to refer to the B&W, 'Power Macintosh' to the beiges.)

I'm simplistic that way.

Yes, this holds true for all 50 Macs in my collection. All are named their model name, unless I have duplicates, then they either use something about them that differentiates them 'PowerBook 520c' vs. 'PowerBook 520c PPC', or just append an 'a', 'b', 'c' as my Quadra 700s use. It makes it easy to figure out which computer is which on the network. (Right now, there are 8 computers active on the network, including two connected via an Ethernet to Localtalk bridge.)

12. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

13. elbirth thread starter macrumors 65816

hehe, I've checked a few of those sites out.... came across a couple cool names, but nothing I liked especially much just yet

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

How about calling it Mac Book Pro.....since thats the name that will be on the laptop...just a suggestion;)

Bless

15. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Ooo, very clever! :cool:

16. elbirth thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm talking about the name that will show up for the computer over a network (not sure if you were referring to just a name to refer to it as in talking).
    I had thought about SuperBigDaddyMacBookPro, but doesn't really have the oomph I'm looking for. :)

17. -Escher- macrumors member

18. Wes Jordan macrumors regular

Jack!....get it...Apple Jack...err nevermind:eek:.

19. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

'Laptop' :rolleyes:

20. elbirth thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah but with multiple laptops, it gets boring naming them Laptop1, Laptop2, etc

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

and here i am while i go to the bathroom...so i pick up macworld, and lo and behold, i find out that the "powerbook" was called that before the power pc processor...wow

so i guess it's not so weird for me to call a non ppc laptop a "powerbook"