Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

my library is nearly 1TB in size and consists of mainly ripped DVDs (and yes, they're all legally bought...)
I just sync what I want to my 160gb classic and play direct from it when i'm out and about.

sparkstack

Feb 19, 2008
BTMM is painful. Painful. Getting your home router set up properly is one thing, and you only have to do it the one time... but any time you go somewhere else, you have to worry about whether their router will even support BTMM. Even if it does, a lot of places aren't going to let you change their router settings to allow BTMM to work.
Well that obviously depends on how intelligent you are. BTMM is simple. Simple. I turned it on on my mac pro, went to my place of work (which is petty tightly controlled, network wise) and just browsed to my macpro from my macbookpro like i would do at home. No messing with routers. Couldn't be simpler.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Well that obviously depends on how intelligent you are. BTMM is simple. Simple. I turned it on on my mac pro, went to my place of work (which is petty tightly controlled, network wise) and just browsed to my macpro from my macbookpro like i would do at home. No messing with routers. Couldn't be simpler.
You were lucky, then. In my testing of BTMM, most of the places where I was able to access WiFi either didn't have compatible routers in place, or if they did, UPnP or NAT-PMP (which BTMM requires) were not available. Setting up my home router was, as you say, simple; that's not the weak link in the BTMM system.

Setting up Apple Fire Sharing and redirecting port 548 on your home router to point to your home Mac is easier, cheaper (i.e., free), and there is no requirement that the away router be configured in any special way.

chelseasian

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2004
New York, NY (Chelsea)
I stream everything off my iTunes on my Mac Pro. I figured since the MBA is more of a business machine for me, I don't really install my music in it, unless I know I am going away on a trip. Anyway everything is on my iPod. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.