Future of Mac games go bye bye?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Compatiblepoker, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Compatiblepoker macrumors regular

I was thinking last night. With all the various ways to run Windows on a Mac do you think programmers and game developers will start slowing down on the development of Mac specific games?

It just seems like so many people are dual booting, running parallels or whatever that the demand is going to drop.

2. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Probably. I heard cedega was coming to the Mac but I still think that it would be nice for Mac developers to continue porting games to our platform.

3. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I would pay more for a quality port of a quality game for OS X. I don't think I am alone here. I would rather not use Windows and developers understand this.

Yes, with all of the options available, some developers may decide to drop Mac ports. But, with the transition to Intel, it has never been easier for developers to port their apps over.

4. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Cider will kill off Mac game developers, I'd say.

5. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I totally agree, its much faster and simpler to port games to the mac now but the best option is just to pop a windows cd into your mac and have it play normally. I dont think that will happen anytime soon.

6. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Unless, of course, they use DirectX.

But how many developers use that? :rolleyes:

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

On my Mac Book Pro, I don't have enough space for all my Windows games. At least with native games, I can run them from an external Firewire drive. I am tempted to purchase a iMac with a 500 GB drive so I have enough space for a Windows partition that I need. I know it cost more than a cheap PC box but I prefer the look of the iMac over a PC.

For now, I prefer Mac ports of the game until I have that extra Mac.

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

unless they want to appeal to the powerpc useing mac user market which accounts for some 95% of sales.

9. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Yes, people are Dual-Booting. Some even find after booting into Mac OS, they prefer it to Windows.

Apple will gain some full-time switchers this way - people who want a new computer, with the benefits of Intel and Windows, whilst being able to taste something other than vanilla.

If anything, people will carry on developing for the Mac - now they're becoming stronger and more powerful.

10. socamx macrumors 6502

People will always prefer a fully functional, well running and native game in their OS. Booting into windows or using things like Cider, Cedgea are either temporary untill the game comes to Mac, or a incomplete hack/throw together that isn't fully native.

I believe people would rather have the games run fully native in OS X without hitches, glitches and problems. Due to that, I think true Mac-native games will always sell and will always be here. There will always be money to be made on those (which is the important factor), so developers will keep making them as well (and OS X native).

My two cents.

Edit: An extension of this also applies to other software besides games I think as well.

11. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I feel more and more alone saying this but, I hate the idea of using my intel mac to boot into windows. Even to play games.

I love playing many kinds of games, but I'd prefer to pay extra to run a games natively.

12. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Sorry but that was just a random number you plucked out of thin air.

13. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I wouldn't like to have to purchase/own a second expensive OS simply to play games. :(

14. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Is it just me that really doesn't care if they stop producing Mac games? Firstly, Mac games are always more expensive than their PC counterparts (well, at least here in the UK where you can expect to pay around £15 more). Secondly, the Mac ports always seem to be more demanding of your system than the PC counterpart (look at Civ 4). Thirdly, the PC version will always be better supported than the Mac version. Fourthly, Mac gamers always have to wait months longer for the release.

15. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Well, for me, paying an extra $10 sure beats having to purchase a second computer or OS.

16. KamikazeH20mln macrumors newbie

KamikazeH20mln

As a strong PC gamer and Mac user, I do think more Mac game developer/porters will port LESS to mac OS X and rely on Bootcamp/virtulization technologies to mature to support Direct X gaming.

Even the PC gamer market is under fire from the console market, which game developers love since it is a single, standardized platform.