future of notebooks and desktops...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by fordandrew87, Jul 15, 2005.

1. fordandrew87 macrumors newbie

I wonder if Apple has ever considered selling this new 3-d technology, similar to this Sharp product: http://store.sharpsystems.com/product.asp?sku=2625331

I thought this looked pretty cool; it would be awesome to have this technology in upcoming lines, cough, such as the Powerbook!

2. wide macrumors 6502a

wow i want that computer so badly now. imagine if Apple came out with a 3D mac os x...that would be sweet.

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Sharp released the Actius 3D laptop last year, in the reviews since, it has been widely regarded as more than unpractical. Apparently, the current "desktop" metaphor is not suited for a 3D environment. Additionally, many of the reviewers got nauseaus doing simple computing tasks and noted that the gaming enhancement was subtle, at best.

Overall, I dont' think the market is ready for this technology. Perhaps sometime down the line, but honestly, I don't see it happening for a very long time.

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

That display, coupled with this keyboard and the new Intel chips....my credit card is chomping at the bit! :D

5. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Haha! That's actually what I was thinking too!

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Ah, Mac OS X 3D edition...code-named "Lion" ;)

7. dylomel macrumors member

keyboard

that keyboard will ROCK with either laptop or desktop......and i love bothhhhhhhh... :p

8. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Seems like a 3D monitor would give me headaches. I think I'll stick with my flat panel for a while...

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I keep seeing that keyboard everywhere and I must be the only person in the world that thinks it's completely horrible.

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'll give you, the design and layout of it isn't the best, but it's just a prototype. You gotta look at the technology, man. Each and every key is a display. You got that? Every. One. Of. Them.

*does the monkey dance*

11. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Oh I love the idea of it, but as it is I'd pass. :)

12. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Slightly off-topic but here's an interview with the people who designed the Optimus keyboard. Positing a price point in excess of $200-$300 and delivery in about a year, it's beginning to look interesting.