Future of OS X Networking & Filesystems?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacVault, Aug 6, 2005.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

Anyone know what the future holds for OS X [native] networking protocols and Filesystems? And, what is the best way to deal with this currently in a cross platform environment? I know Apple is trying to embrace open standards stuff - but for example.. samba is open but it lacks support for, or doesn't handle well, many of the features supported by Apple's (propietary) AppleShare IP.

I built a FreeBSD box with some big drives to use as a backup server/NAS. I installed Netatalk for AFP, etc. Now I can't get AFP to work for some reason.. anyone know what the following errors mean?...

In the finder I get the following when trying to connect via the Finder's Go -> Connect to Server feature: The operation cannot be completed because one or more required items cannot be found. (Error code -35).

If I try something like mount_afp -i afp://bsd/my/share/ /Volumes/bsdmnt from the command line, I receive various error messages like.. mount_afp: the mount flags are 0000 the altflags are 0020
    mount_afp: AFPMountURL returned error -5002, errno is -5002

So.. I have the metadata-on-UFS problem, and I have the protocol issue - in other words if I can't get AFP working or if Apple is abandoning it in favor of open standards, then I'll have to use something like Samba or NFS - which don't support long file names, and choke on the illegal characters.

So, this brings me to my original question - how's this all going to work if Apple is going for open standards that don't fully support the other proprietary things they're still hanging on to? Any ideas??? :confused:

2. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Why are you even using AFP anyways? Just use Samba or NFS...

If you want a better solution, I think subscribing to one of apple's dev mailing lists is the best course aside from becomeing a premere developer... they can answer your questions better than most people here I think...