Future of OS9?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tjwett, Aug 1, 2002.

1. tjwett macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    OS X is okay but 9 is great because it is it's own thing, whereas X is basically an OS inside an OS. I wish Apple would continue to update 9 alongside X. They could eventually drop the "9" and just call it Mac Classic OS or something. I know it won't happen but I hate to see 9 go. It was just getting good. I'm starting to really not like X but I guess have no choice. It's the future of Mac, right?
  2. Shrek macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2002
    Nashville, Tennessee USA
    I don't have a Mac (but want to get one) and never had one, so I couldn't tell you. :rolleyes:
  3. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!

I think that if ( is to go, the X will include a ClassicLib. Just as CarbonLib allows certain applications to be loaded into 9, and yet not need 9 in X, ClassicLib will allow X to run 9 apps without neing a total operating system.
  4. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2002
    Washington DC USA
  5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I'm probably the happiest person to see Mac OS 9.x go. No more memory numbers to key. Fewer crashes.

Still, Mac OS X has a little bit of catching up to do. It took a good 17 years to get things "right". However, I don't think we can all wait that long again.
  6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2002
    Middle Earth
    We need to harrass Developers

They've had plenty of time and warnings to move their apps to OSX. It's time to hop on the boat.
  7. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2001
    Really? I never really noticed that...

I still can't believe there's some Mac enthusiats out there that still think that OS 6 was the best! It'll all pass....

I am one of the few that probably want 9 to live a little bit longer....
  8. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Personally, I need OS 9 for at least another 2 or 3 years, before I can get Classic off my OS. But I still remember a while back on MacOSRumors that there would be a Mac OS 9.3 before Classic can only be used with OS X (9.4, 9.5).

Whatever the case may be, I think Apple will drop ALL applications/support for OS 9 by 2004. Evidence supporting this: iTunes 3 is now only OS X native. iPhoto is only OS X native. Slowly Apple will release products/software only compatible with OS X and not OS 9, until they have completely dropped OS 9 support.
  9. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    A very intelligent friend of mine recently said:

Although I don't fully agree with him, I think that OS9 was nearing the end of its useful life, its a shame to see the OS that we have all loved for years finally dies but All Good Things Must Come to an End. Good Bye OS9, it was nice knowing you. (BTW, I still have to look after 30 OS9 machines at work for the next few months so its not really a long goodbye ;))
  10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I was very disappointed by 7. They were so smug in their brilliance that they forgot to look at the train coming out of the tunnel. They should have introduced Carbon on top of A/UX at that point and started the transition. They would have more than 3.48 percent of the market most likely.