Future OS X Names Could Include Sequoia, Mojave, Sonoma and Ventura

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 30, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With the shift from OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion to OS X 10.9, Apple opted to switch from naming its desktop operating system updates after big cats to naming them after distinct California landmarks or "places that inspire us," as Craig Federighi explained during the 2013 Worldwide Developers Conference.

Mavericks, a popular surf spot, was the company's first choice, and as we approach the initial preview of OS X 10.10, there's a lot of speculation about which landmark Apple will choose next. Back in April, several possible naming choices were discovered in the form of trademarks that Apple applied for on California-related terms including Yosemite, Redwood, and Mammoth.

[​IMG]
    An OS X 10.10 mockup image​
    MacRumors has now discovered an additional set of names that appear to be linked to Apple, which trademarks were filed for on March 11, 2014 in Trinidad and Tobago, a favorite early filing spot for the company. The terms, all of which could be slated for future OS X releases, include OS X Sequoia, OS X Mojave, OS X Sonoma, and OS X Ventura, as well as the individual names Sequoia, Mojave, Sonoma, and Ventura.

While Sonoma and Ventura are major California cities known for vineyards and beaches, respectively, Mojave refers to the state's Mojave Desert while Sequoia likely refers to the Sequoia National Park famous for its giant sequoia trees. All of the names represent well-known California landmarks and are suitable for Apple's new OS X naming scheme.

At this point, the full list of known trademarks Apple has registered for includes Yosemite, Redwood, Mammoth, California, Big Sur, Pacific, Diablo, Miramar, Rincon, El Cap, Redtail, Condor, Grizzly, Farallon, Tiburon, Monterey, Skyline, Shasta, Sierra, Mojave, Sequoia, Ventura, and Sonoma.

It is unknown which name Apple is leaning towards for OS X 10.10, but an iOS 8 banner currently hanging at the Moscone Center ahead of WWDC featured an underwater theme, which may hint at the company's OS X plans.

Along with the trademarks for several OS X terms it filed for on March 11, Apple also appears to have applied for trademarks on the terms "Apple Watch" and "Watch," continuing its long trademarking spree of iWatch-related terms, which included several new filings under shell company Brightflash back in April.

OS X 10.10's official name will be unveiled this coming Monday, during the keynote presentation of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference. The event will take place at 10 AM Pacific Time.

Article Link: Future OS X Names Could Include Sequoia, Mojave, Sonoma and Ventura

2. macrumors newbie

Isn't that great...

3. macrumors 6502a

CrazyForApple

I like the name Mojave

4. macrumors 6502a

OS X Ventura… has a nice ring to it!

5. macrumors 6502a

Sven11

Mojave? Reminds me of Microsoft's Mojave experiment promoting Vista.

6. macrumors 604

"Mammoth" would be a nice choice if they want to follow up Mavericks in the tradition of making people confused about what it is named after.

7. macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

I've liked Mojave since they introduced Mavericks, and now they might make it!

8. sza
    macrumors regular

What is the source of this picture. from Apple.com?

9. macrumors 68030

needfx

10. macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

OS ace Ventura

11. macrumors P6

Peace

Sonoma sounds good but it isn't a major California city.

I've been there many times with friends that live there. Small town actually.

12. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Whats with the pic? A mockup?

13. macrumors newbie

Source?

14. macrumors G3

Like Ventura Publisher ?

15. macrumors 65816

"While Sonoma and Ventura are major California cities, the latter being known for its vineyards and the former for its beaches,"

Oops. It's Sonoma, the former, known for its vineyards. While Ventura its beaches.

16. macrumors 68030

BasicGreatGuy

I think Apple should name their next OS "Gold Rush."

17. macrumors newbie

Mac OS XI Yosemite

18. macrumors 6502a

No offense intended, but that font (Helvetica) on the "banner" looks a bit ugly! I hope that, if Helvetica is the new system font in 10.10, Apple will at least mix Helvetica and Helvetica Light/Neue, depending on the situation/dialog/sizing, because Helvetica looks weird spaced in some areas. I guess we'll find out Monday!

The fact that the iOS 8 banner is using Myriad, however, makes me pause and think about the 10.10 system font... maybe it'll be a thinner version of Myriad?

19. macrumors newbie

Partial to Sonoma myself . . . if these are accurate.

20. macrumors 603

jrswizzle

So no OS X banner? Disappointing.....

21. macrumors regular

I think the most interesting thing about this are the trade names "Apple Watch" and "Watch". Are they ditching the 'i' ?

22. appleguy123, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014

macrumors 603

appleguy123

I wonder if we won't see OS XI Monday, because there aren't any signs for 10.10 at WWDC like we see for iOS 8 and like we saw last year for 10.9.

Edit. There's a new X banner now. I wonder if they won't just start calling it Mac OS X [Name] because 10.10 sounds ridiculous.

23. macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Or OS X California City theres a small town for ya. :)

24. macrumors 604

bushido

Sequoia seems a bit hard to pronounce if u think globally. never heard of Sonoma. sounds almost african tho xD

25. macrumors 65816

Source: www.commonsense.com.