Future Sonics Monitor question for MacMusicians

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by phrancpharmD, Dec 9, 2003.

1. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

As some of you know I will be starting a recording/producing "hobby" in a couple of months (thanks again for all who responded to my prior thread - I think I'll end up going with the MOTU 828 MKII and use the included AudioDesk 2 software, but more on that later), and I saw this today on PowerPage.

I've not looked for any info at macmusic.com or osxaudio.com yet, but any thoughts from the MacRumors community concerning sound quality and whether this is a good deal will be greatly appreciated. osxAudio still intimidates me. . .
    :)

Just in case the link doesn't work, here's the text:

2. kanker macrumors 6502

Those things appear to be for personal monitoring in a live situation, not in a studio situation. Personally, I use these. Something like this would also be excellent.

3. D*I*S_Frontman macrumors 6502

Own 'em

The posted reply above is correct. The Future Sonics product is strictly for live performance and no one in their right mind would use them to mix in a studio environment.

They actually fit inside your ear canal using foam collars around a small tube that carries the sound from a driver to your ear drum. Fine for isolating a mix for a live performer, but after a few hours it gets old having these things jammed in your ears. Also, they knock out about 25db of outside noise, so don't expect to hear anyone or anything else around you while wearing them.

Having said all that, they are a spectacular product. The best high-end music purchase I have ever made was the $800 Future Sonics/Sennheiser wireless monitoring system. Like having a studio monitor mix live while wearing earplugs to tune out your drummer--at the same time. Incredible.

But not what you need for recording.

4. phrancpharmD thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the links kanker, and thanks for the info DIS Frontman. Just trying to figure out what I'll need. . .

5. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Very subjective

phrancpharmD -

I read through a lot of the forum with your digital audio hardware and I think that you will be happy with your initial purchase. The MOTU hardware is among the best for flexibility with multiple software programs, while being backed by a company that isn't going anywhere for a while. The 828 mkII is a great box, I've worked with a lot of MOTU boxes and they fit a lot of flexibility into their gear.

I didn't chime in on the other post about hardware and software. My honest opinion about software is this:

I like Pro Tools for its ease of recording and flexible routing and mixing of analog and digital sources.

I like DP (better than Logic, I think it's less confusing to novice users and laid out a little more Logically, pun intended) for working with MIDI and notation.

Anywho, back to the current topic...

Monitoring is extremely subjective. Do not go on recommendations from the forum and research alone. Find a store, like Guitar Center/Sam Ash that carries the monitors you're interested in and test them yourself. Bring CDs that you know well, so you can compare your desired sound to what's coming out of the speakers. I know you're looking for portability, so you're probably thinking headphones too, but the same goes for either...

For headphones, I'd recommend Sennheiser HD280's to start. They're ~$100 and mute much of the background sound around you. It will eliminate machine noise from your laptop/external hard drive.

If you want speakers, the best in portability will be active (self-powered) monitors. Many companies make these, and I would recommend the M-Audio Studiophile BX5 or BX8. They're small and compact and will fit with your budget.

The volume control on the MOTU will control the main outputs, so you don't need to worry about any other gear than your laptop, MOTU, and external drive.

Hope this helps, sorry if it got a little long!

cpjakes

6. kanker macrumors 6502

Re: Very subjective

I agree fully, and have to add that the links I provided were purely showing just a couple of options in an affordable price range. Definitely try to find a place with a headphone or monitor setup that allows you to check out different cans or speakers side by side, and the suggestion about CD source material that you know well is also dead on. The other thing I'd add is that if you have the time, once you narrow down your headphone selection to two or three go in for an extended listen. Be real critical not only of the sound, but the comfort of the cans on your head- it's amazing how quickly your head and the outer portion of your ears can become fatigued by phones that felt good when you first put them on.

7. phrancpharmD thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Very subjective

Thanks for the tips fellas (I assume y'all are fellas, apologies if not. . .) I would've never thought to bring in CDs to test the units out! And thanks for the suggestion on extended listening kanker, it makes sense that comfort will be important.

cpjakes, your comments regarding Logic echo a lot of suggestions from my originial thread regarding learning curve, and I am definitely drawn to the expansion compatabilities of the MOTU unit. However, like I said, I will be starting with the AudioDesk 2 software the 828mkII comes with, mostly for cost reasons. So any move to DP or Logic or even ProTools is probably pretty far off. I have a feeling y'all haven't heard the last of this! Thanks so much for your input!
    Frank