Future Version of VPC to include native graphics support...specifics mentioned

Discussion in 'Games' started by yoda13, Sep 24, 2004.

1. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

click here

This article over at Apple Insider points at some future native graphics support for the VPC, and to what level it will perform. What do you guys think? Will it be useful for any gaming at all? Will it even come to pass? I did a quick search and didn't see where this has been posted before....sorry if I missed anything.

2. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

It says it requires a graphics card equal to what you need for CoreImage/etc., so I hope the FX5200 Ultra in the new iMac I ordered will be suitable (it's the minimum requirement for CoreImage, I believe).

3. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Hasn't this been the rumor since VPC 5. I'm not buying it, both the rumor or the product. :p

4. yoda13 thread starter macrumors 65816

yoda13

Even if the rumor were to be true, the cards that they emulate would not be the most ideal for gaming would they? We are talking cards that are old by even Mac standards, are we not?

5. applekid macrumors 68020

Kudos to you for trying to search. But, we've had a discussion here and else where about this. I don't blame you completely, since the search engines for forums suck. You gotta use the boolean operators (AND, OR, etc.).

Anyways, I'll just make one quick comment:

Richard Bannister talked to some Microsoft representatives. They mentioned that they must have native graphics support once Longhorn is ready (because of that Quartz-like graphics system they're implementing, which at the moment, requires a 64 MB VRAM graphics card to do what basically Quartz does and then maybe some). No word on if you can downgrade the version of Windows for the release of VPC with native graphics support, but from knowing Microsoft, I wouldn't be surprised if Longhorn is the only OS that VPC will be able to use. You can take that as a confirmation or rumor.

6. yoda13 thread starter macrumors 65816

yoda13

Sorry about that, but I did do a search and didn't come up with a related thread. I was wondering if you would mind posting a link, as i would very much like to read more about what people think about this.

7. kilpajr macrumors regular

Considering the emulation plus the operating system and application, I wouldn't be surprised if you are going to need a quad 4GHz with 8GB of RAM and a 1GB VRAM video card to play games if your speculation proves true. Hey, maybe by 2007 when VPC for Longhorn is released we'll be able to play HL2 on the mac. :D

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Hell, I'd be satisfied with HL1