Futurecasting: PowerMac or PowerBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Stolid, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Stolid macrumors regular

Stolid

With the news of forthcoming Mac revisions I am beginning to consider purchasing my first Mac computer.
    And so the question begs: Book or Mac.
    I'm an "Art Tech" (Computer Programmer and Digital Artist in 1) so don't even think about suggesting the "i" line. It's a power one way or the other ^_^

At the moment I have 2 PCs:
    A 2x 1.4 GHz Athlon desktop that runs Windows 2003 Server and Slackware Linux dualboot, which I find I mostly just use for 'remote' stuff (file serving, experimental coding, etc)
    A 2.2 GHz Pentium4m Laptop that runs Windows XP and Gentoo Linux; which is my main work machine (mainly because I can just unplug it and carry it into the kitchen or whereever as well as use it in more comfortable posistions as I'm able to move it easily (its hard to operate a desktop from a 'laying on the couch' type posistion).

So; assuming a new revision of both the PowerMacs and PowerBooks to faster G5s and to the G5 architecture - the question of which to get looms.

If I get the Book I'm worried I won't be satisfied with the speed (While I'm sure the books are quite fast; I am running complex compiles and renders on this box)
    If I get the Mac I'm worried I won't 'pull it out' and use it because I much prefer to change posistion often (not at all a fan of 'sitting at my desk', I love laying down on the floor or couch and other such posistions)

Assume my price point is relatively equal (probably $2 to $3 grand). Also keep in mind I won't be getting a new system for probably 5+ years (I understand Macs are normally good about longevity but, again, I'll notice when software starts knowing there's "better" out there)

Thanks for the advice;
    Stolid

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I say go with the best powermac you can get and get a really comfortable and customizable chair.:D

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Tower is always going to have more grunt for cheaper...but a G5 PB could be mighty sweet...if only we knew when they would appear...

4. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    PB is nice

The PB is nice.... you'll want 1.33 GHz or above (with new revisions... :D ) and if you want to sit at ur desk sometimes, get a bookendz port replicator and external speakers, keyboard, mouse, and nice 17in apple cinema display. I have the Rev. A 12 in and it loads X11, but it's slower than in that than I would like it to be....

5. Stolid thread starter macrumors regular

Stolid

Heh; I've already got the outboard display I plan to use;
    as for the tower being cheaper per power -- yes; but in some ways price is not an object for this. My limiter is in what is OFFERED (I seriously doubt we'll get dual full speed PowerBooks == to the PowerMacs. If we DO that's what I'm getting ^_^;; )
    As for the comfy chair post: This sounds wierd but I really don't like "sitting" in a chair; I prefer to stretch my legs out in front of me (the closest I've seen in a chair is a recliner which isn't exactly a computer chair); I've tried to use a desktop in that manner without much success. If you can give me a suggestion ?

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

PM or PB?

Well,I personally have monitors scattered all over my apartment(kitchen, bedroom, living room) and a couple of wireless keyboards/mice. Due to the age of my equipment it's all IR technology, but even with sight-line limitations I can lounge all over the place and get work(or play) done. Would this or bluetooth be an option for you? If so, obviously get the PM. At home you could still lounge on the couch, you just couldn't pop down to work at the local coffee shop and show off your beautiful machine...I am jealous you have these options...also if you are considering a G5 PB, it is unclear when they will arrive, and a rev a. may be problematic...hope this is helpful

7. Stolid thread starter macrumors regular

Stolid

Here's my setup as is (PowerBook on the desk was borrowed)
    http://cs.odu.edu/~tjames/images/See_the_crowding.jpg

EDIT
    1024x768 image, you are warned.
    The flat screen is on the Mac,
    the PC laptop is just its own display
    the CRT in the back is the dual Athlon desktop
    /EDIT

I could bluetooth it, I love bluetooth, but I'm one of those naughty people who likes sitting too close to the monitor :p

One big thing though, being 'on the couch' and using it is a big deal but I am still quite mobile (I bounce between my apartment at school and seeing one side of the family or another on weekends. Happening guy, I know) and am again worried about 'state' (that is to say, I might not use the Mac after a few times of going "I need thing X... its on the PowerMac... grrr."
    I could do some type of sync, true...

And just FYI: I'm playing devils advocate. If the next reply says Book I'll whine about needing the speed

It is helpful to hear everyone's opinion though, I especially like that you reminded me the book g5s would be revision a. It is definatly a point to consider.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

PM or PB?

Nice little set-up(I especially like the stuffed animals), didn't see the couch though...I can relate to your dilemma. I do a lot of video installation work and need the mobility, but had to sacrifice power. I have a 2000 (rev.B)pismo, frankensteined out with 1G ram, G3 900 upgrade card, 7200rpm drive-even so it is getting long in the tooth...that's 3.5 years ago. If I had got a tower, well, I'd still have more options...but if you want your computer to scale well over the years, it has to be PM.(one of the reasons I didn't buy the first TiBooks was that they were even less upgradeable than the pismo. Get tower, use PC laptop for mobility(for now), if you get really addicted to your mac experience (os, particular apps etc), buy a laptop later...even an iBook will do, if you've got the PM at home. Wait for the next PM revision, though-I am. Then bluetooth away...hope that seems coherent advice
    *edit* BTW my pismo is the best laptop ever...wish I could get some of those features(like dual-battery bays)on new PBs...godd**n progress.

9. Stolid thread starter macrumors regular

Stolid

Yeah, unfortunatly the couch is where the picture was taken from (not my camera, a friend did it because he thought that many monitors on 1 desk is wrong)
    Thanks... I wov my little animals ^_^ :D

10. cubist macrumors 68020

Like your taste in monitors and the comfy-looking chair in the picture. After seeing this I think I'll be revamping my computing setup a little. No harm in being comfortable while working, and having all the screens within easy sight ;)

11. Stolid thread starter macrumors regular

Stolid

Yeah; the only real weakness of the setup is in the need for a keyboard switch. Reaching over to the PowerBook in that lineup is a pain.