Futureproof?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ajo, Oct 11, 2006.

1. ajo macrumors 6502

What I always like to do when I am buying things is always futureproof it. Not by over spending but buy making sure, by what information that I already know, that it will last me quite a few years.

By what I mean is if a big change with mac is going to happen then I would rather wait for that to happen.

We in this house still have a CRT TV, if I was getting a new TV about a year ago then I would make sure that it was HD... it would be a waste now otherwise as it is almost standard and prices are dropping faassttt.

So is now a good time for me for my iMac?

2. stevehp macrumors 6502

yes... get an iMac now. They were just updated.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

3. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

Pretty hard to future proof a computer purchase, but I know what you mean. The thing is, will the machine be able to do the jobs you anticipate for it? The new iMacs seem up to all but the heaviest labor. The next species of chips due to go in don't look all that much better, so (I'm speculating of course) the next major changes will likely be cosmetic rather than functional.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

now is a great time to buy an iMac. they have the fastest chips available on the market and were only recently updated.

5. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Apple products will always be updated anyway, yes i would say so. They have just been upgraded and are really great compared to the older machines.

6. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

With all Macs now having intel processors, they are all futureproof as far as they go.

Of course, with 2 cores, very expandable RAM, 4 HD bays, PCIexpress etc, the Mac Pro is much more futureproof, but might be seen as overkill.

After the irritation of 2 24" iMacs with wierd noises, me, I like overkill :D

David

7. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

I think now is a good time to buy an iMac.
    You will get the latest in iMac technology and you are at the beginning of its cycle so you will get the longest enjoyment out of it.
    The only way to FutureProof is to not move forward in time or to not buy at all.

8. wchong macrumors 6502

lol true to a certain extent

9. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Not only is now a good time, as they were just updated, but an iMac is relatively easy to "futureproof."

How? It's simple.

Max out the options that you can't upgrade later.

That said, I'd buy this:

24" iMac
    - 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    - NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM

The other options (RAM, HDD, etc) are easy to upgrade down the road. CPU and GPU, however, are impossible to upgrade. Once you buy the system, that's it.

Why the 24" LCD? Because I remember a time when 80 columns was state of the art and VGA graphics (640x480) was an unaffordable luxury. And I'm only 24.