Futuristic FPS

Discussion in 'Games' started by Patmian212, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hey all,
    I enjoy futuristic first person shooters, like halo, unreal I dont like so much, can anyone recomend me one? Already have marathon lol:) , oh and it doesnt matter if the game is old.

EDIT: I remeber a really good one, from the mid 90s, not sure if its for mac, it had some wierd things like telekenysis, I think it wass called system shock but Im not sure.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Get a copy of Return to Castle Wolfenstein plus it should run on your system.

3. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Starwars Battlefront is the only game that comes to mind. I've played Tron 2.0 that game is horrible, and I can't see what RTCW has to do with suggestions for futuristic shooters. ;)

I guess there is also Star Trek Elite Forces I and II, personally I only played the first and it seemed way too linear to me.

5. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

OFF TOPIC: Can anyone find the mac section or the no pc section of the website "the underdogs" I just cant see it lol, post a link if you can.

6. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Whats wrong with Tron?

Heh I forgot about Star Wars Battlefront

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

8. Lincoln 6 Echo macrumors member

Deus Ex

Hm, an appreciation for great things that aren't new releases eh? A rare quality.

You should like Deus Ex, you may even love it. It even borders on being an RPG which is a very cool element, once you start playing. Awesome story, awesome gameplay, awesome atmosphere, cool weapons/gadgets/and ABILITIES, the graphics were awesome at the time. It was definitely a pioneer and has influenced many of the games of today. When many games seemed linear, Deus Ex broke away from that offered more than one approach/solution to situations in the game; you can 'customize' your abilities; it wasn't purely open ended, even today few games are. It's not just run and gun, some situations require stealth and some require brute force. Deus Ex is a masterpiece even by today's standards.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They're rather different if you play the multi player games. The single player games have a story. The multi player games are merely mindless shooters.

10. steelfist macrumors 6502a

unreal tournament 99. i do warn you there is no storyline for this game though.

i like that "don't care if it's old" quality that you and some people have. means that you don't care about graphics and mainly likes storyline and gameplay. frankly few people that i know of have this quality. "OO! do you know about this game? the graphics are so cool!" and yet the storyline sucks and gameplay is irratating.

11. risc macrumors 68030

risc

When I played it I found it lame, boring, it had a shocking frame rate... maybe these things have been fixed with an update, but I didn't care enough about the game to try an update. Oh and IIRC it didn't work in wide screen resolutions when I played it, I HATE games that don't work at my ACDs native wide screen resolution.

But hey it sounds like a couple of you like it, so to the OP give it a go and see what you think it gets a big thumbs down from me. :D

12. Kalinatek macrumors regular

thats a very nice game with amazing graphics , but it isn't futuristic...

:cool:

13. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

System Shock was made for the Mac (not System Shock 2 though), but it doesn't work with Classic very well...it runs, but the screen never updates so it's kinda hard to tell what's going on. (You can get it to run properly if you want to mess around with emulators like SheepShaver though.)

How about Quake 2? It's OK, and even has an OS X native port. Tron 2.0 is fine but needs a decent graphics card if you want to get good frame rates with all the graphic stuff turned on. (It runs great on my system but then I have an X800.)

--Eric