Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
When do you think laptops will be implementing flash based drives instead of hard drives? For stationary computers its not big deal but laptops go through some abuse. I would be interested once this is doable on the order of 60gigs.

Kreamy

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
Not anytime soon. Wasn't it something like $40,000 for the solid state drive?

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
I would also wonder about the speed of these devices. Most flash based devices are still rather slow.

Kreamy

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
NYmacAttack said:
I would also wonder about the speed of these devices. Most flash based devices are still rather slow.

Reading data off of a chip is much quicker than firing up a mechanical drive and seeking data. Hard drives were never truly non linear in the sense that the head still has to get to the sector - flash instantly retrieves data.

Not taking into account what can happen if data is lost, flash drives are much less prone to shock damage and use considerably less power, making them ultimately all for the better.

Due to the aforementioned costs though, some people (was it intel and MS?) were working on a 1GB cache buffer for a standard mechanical hard drive that could call all data required for bootup into the cache and thus exponentially reduce startup lag - i've got no substantiation for this though.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
ManchesterTrix said:
I think the limited write-cycles of current flash would also pose a slight problem.
Using a combination would avoid this issue. If the primary drive was hard disk and the OS (and maybe applications?) were on the flash, that could allow for smaller solid state drives and reduce the write-cycles. But, I don't know about the speed of the drives. Also, I am pretty sure I am just repeating someone else form somewhere on MR. I know there are arguments against it. I just don't know what they are.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
NYmacAttack said:

What are you basing that on? A HD needs time to spin up, and seek. Flash doesn't. I've tried using a microdrive in my camera and my FPS was reduced HUGELY compared to a flash drive of the same size.

Also, have you used an iPod nano? MUCH faster than a HD based iPod.

Kreamy

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
Subiklim said:
What are you basing that on? A HD needs time to spin up, and seek. Flash doesn't. I've tried using a microdrive in my camera and my FPS was reduced HUGELY compared to a flash drive of the same size.

Also, have you used an iPod nano? MUCH faster than a HD based iPod.

Appears to be based on USB pendrives, which in most cases is true, they're slower than hard drives, but thats due to a number of other factors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.