Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
The other day i was backing up my home folder on my iMac G5 (rev B) to my year-old or so LaCie FW400 D2 drive. everything went fine. later that day i plugged the drive into my girlfriend's TiBook and she got an error message saying the drive could not be read by OS X. i ejected it and plugged it into my iMac and got the same message. ejected, panicked, plugged it in again and clicked ignore whenm i got the error message, and tried disk utility - repair disk. in 10 seconds it fixed a catalog b tree something and the drive has worked fine since.

should i still be worried about the drive? or was this an isolated incident?

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Ambrose Chapel said:
The other day i was backing up my home folder on my iMac G5 (rev B) to my year-old or so LaCie FW400 D2 drive. everything went fine. later that day i plugged the drive into my girlfriend's TiBook and she got an error message saying the drive could not be read by OS X. i ejected it and plugged it into my iMac and got the same message. ejected, panicked, plugged it in again and clicked ignore whenm i got the error message, and tried disk utility - repair disk. in 10 seconds it fixed a catalog b tree something and the drive has worked fine since.

I would say that it was probably isolated. Did you remember to eject it from the first computer?

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
Ambrose Chapel said:

a power failure/surge or disconnect without eject could do something like that. disk utility found an error software related and not hardware related. i would still keep an eye on it though for the next couple startups and shutdowns.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
thanks for the replies. it's definitely possible that i pulled the plug w/o ejecting, though i'm usually very careful about that. it's still mounting fine, but now that i have a superdrive, i need to get in the habit of DVD backups, just in case...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.