FW Hard Drive Buffer Cache

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by TyWahn, Dec 2, 2004.

1. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

I just bought a FireWire HD .. 7200 RPM 160 GB ... but it only has 2 MB Buffer Cache

Can somebody tell me if I will notice any significant difference, or problems as opposed to one with say 8 MB buffer.

I bought it to use as my "media" drive .. all my music, and also to edit videos with ... etc.

Thanks....

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Since your disk I/O will be mainly sequential, I doubt you'll notice any difference. Drives with 8 MB cache are relatively new, and the benchmarks I've seen don't show much of a difference.

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

IF you were doing a lot of video editing the buffer cache might come into play. When you are going through a lot of video at once the drive needs the xtra cache to keep up. If your doing light work it should not matter.

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

So, you're telling last year's 2 MB cache drives couldn't cut it? I guess it depends on what kind of video we're talking about, e.g. raw, SD or HD DV.

5. TyWahn thread starter macrumors 6502

TyWahn

I will be editing video imported from iMovie ... from my Digital8 Sony Camcorder ... does that make any difference?

Thanks again!

6. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I think you're good to go. If you're worried about it, just do a test. If you go over to barefeats.com, you'll find actual benchmark results, if you look around a bit.