Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

letterbox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
My iPod will not mount on my G5 anymore, nor will it detect my mini dv camera. I just got a 20" cinema display, I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with it (it shouldn't at any rate).

Any suggestions?

The iPod will charge via FW but I don't have access to it. I ran HW diagnostic test and everything turned up fine.

Thanks,
Jay

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
letterbox said:
My iPod will not mount on my G5 anymore, nor will it detect my mini dv camera. I just got a 20" cinema display, I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with it (it shouldn't at any rate).

Any suggestions?

The iPod will charge via FW but I don't have access to it. I ran HW diagnostic test and everything turned up fine.

Thanks,
Jay
Have you installed Mac OS X 10.3.4?
Have you repaired permissions recently?
Another thing to try if that doesn't work is to reinstall Mac OS X.

mslifkin

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
New Jersey
The display has a FireWire hub in it. Try disconnecting the display from your G5's FireWire port, and see if the G5 sees your iPod. If that works you can try reconnecting the FW hub in your display, and then plug the iPod into the display's FW port, as opposed to the 2nd FW port on your G5. The same thing happens to me if I've got an external hard drive connected and powered on, and I try to sync my iPod. Good luck.

Marc

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Which FW ports, there is some problems that have been showing up for people on the front FW port requiring replacement of that panel.

Otherwise all the FW ports are on the same bus and share the same 15W power supply (aka, from the same FW PHY Chip).

So the problems are likely.

1. Front panel cable.
2. Front panel.
3. Logic board.

letterbox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
I got it to work, but still would like some more insight into the problem.

I do have 10.3.4

I repair permissions every week or so and I leave it on at night to run crons

The iPod was not showing in SP

I disconnected all FW devices (incl. monitor) and then tried the iPod in the front and it didn't work, then I tried it in the back and it worked, then I tried it in the front and it worked then I plugged in monitor and plugged the iPod into that and it now works.

It was odd because the iPod would be charging, but wouldn't mount. Once it even said "Do not disconnect" on the iPod screen, but wouldn't mount on the HD or in iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.