fw target disk mode question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by homeshire, Dec 18, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

i have an older g4 ibook which is in need of a reinstall. unfortunately, the optical drive has long since crapped out. my question is simply this. could i connect that ibook to my g5 imac via fw target disk mode; insert panther/tiger install disc (haven't decided which yet) in the g5; wipe and install the ibook in this manner?

i'm pretty sure i have read that this is doable. don't want to find out the hard way that i'm mistaken. :confused:

thanks

2. JNB
    macrumors 604

JNB

Yup.

Shut both machines down, connect via FW, restart the iBook, the restart the iMac holding down the "t" key; the G5 is the one you want in Target Disk mode, that (and its optical drive) will be seen as mounted volumes on the iBook.

3. macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Actually, this is one of the ways you can install Leopard on an "unsupported" Mac too. :D

4. thread starter macrumors regular

great. thanks for responding. especially since i would have thought that i would need to have turned the order around, having the ibook in fw mode.

surely would have confused myself on that one.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

not sure i will venture tiger, let alone leopard. it came with panther, and that is surely the path of least resistance.

6. macrumors 68020

If you've got at least 512mb of ram, you can definitely do Tiger. I had it on a g3 800mhz 640mb, and it ran well enough. Since you've got a g4, it'll do as long as you've got sufficient memory. The main reason to upgrade past Panther is because the majority of software out there is 10.4 or later; if not for that, I'd have stayed with Panther myself. But if you don't need the newest software (or Spotlight/Dashboard), P will do.