FW800-400 Adapter?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xsedrinam, Aug 6, 2005.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I purchased one of these (adapters) may not be correct term but it has a FW800 insert on one end and a FW400 slot for a 6-pin 400 FW cable on the other for like US$15 at an Apple Store relocating in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Has anyone used one of these? I haven't actually used it yet. Good experience? Thanks.
    X

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I have used FW800 -> FW400 cables to connect my various drives and devices and never had any issues at all....oh yeah!

3. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Thanks Duff-Man, and with noticeable speed increase I would assume?
    X

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...uh, maybe I misunderstood the thread. Are you trying to use adapters to make FW400 cables FW800 cables connecting only FW800 devices? If so I am not sure how well that works. I have used FW400 -> FW800 cables just so I could connect my external drives...FW400 will always be FW400 and no cable or adapter will make it have FW800 speeds...oh yeah!

5. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Sorry, my bad. I had a dyslexic moment, wires crossed or whatever. One example would be coming out of FW400 device (Maxtor HD) with FW400 cable in to adaptor and then in to FW800 slot on AlPB. An exercise in futility, I gather? May be sleep depravation setting in, here. Thanks anyway.
    X

6. Switzermac macrumors regular

I got one once for the 400 to the old thin one which normally came with the ipods but i lost it and my replacement did not work.

7. MacHarne macrumors 6502

If you are using a FireWire400 out on the Maxtor and going in to the FireWire800 on the PB, the speeds will be at FireWire400. In any combination of FireWire400 and FireWire800, it will always transfer no faster than FireWire400. Same deal applies to USB1 and USB2.
    I assume you are speaking of the 6-pin to 4-pin FireWire adapter that came with iPods up through the 3Gs? I believe the reason a replacement would not work is that regular 6-pin FireWire requests the standard 7 watts of power and normal 4-pin FireWire (iLink, in other terms) does not send any power. So, I'm just guessing here, it sounds like the adapter ignores the request for power and just sends the fast FireWire400 data (in transfer). A 4-pin to 6-pin FireWire400 cable may not have that type of power eliminator; but to all of this, I am really just taking a guess, but have had experiences in the past where a replacement cable didn't work because the power handling capacity wasn't existent.