FXNOW Channel With Simpsons World Content Coming to Apple TV

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 22, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

The Apple TV may gain a new FXNOW channel that includes Simpsons World content, according to TV writer Jason Lynch who tweeted the news yesterday (via iLounge). Lynch said the FXNOW channel will come to the Apple TV, Roku, and other devices within the next 12 months.

FXNOW is the on-demand portion of the FX, FXX, and FXM television channels, all of which are owned by the Fox Entertainment Group. The FXNOW Apple TV channel will reportedly include content from The Simpsons, branded Simpsons World, which offers all 552 episodes of The Simpsons along with additional content. Simpsons World, debuting in October, will allow fans to search for and watch any episode or clip of The Simpsons on demand on FXNOW.

According to reports, Simpsons World will also allow users to create playlists of episodes and share favorite scenes, features that will likely make their way to the Apple TV version of the channel. FXNOW with Simpsons World currently requires cable authentication and is limited to FXX subscribers, and the Apple TV version will require a cable subscription as well.

Currently, supported cable providers for the existing FXNOW channel include AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Cox, and Time-Warner. Simpsons World access will also be available through the FXNOW app for the iPad.

Article Link: FXNOW Channel With Simpsons World Content Coming to Apple TV
  2. macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2003
    down on the upside
  3. macrumors 68040

Jun 20, 2007
    App Store!

Stop adding channels and let us pick for ourselves...don't understand why Apple allows this on the Mac/iPhone/iPad but not the Apple TV.

Makes NO SENSE.

Cool for the Simpsons, but of course you need a cable subscription. iTunes needs a new/tv show video streaming service. People would pay.
  4. Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Detroit, Michigan
  5. macrumors 604

Mar 26, 2008
  6. macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
  7. macrumors 65816

Mar 31, 2009
    GREAT! Oh wait it sucks for me because I have Charter Communications and still can not access HBO Go either, maybe if Apple was smart they would just add Amazon Prime already or start their own streaming service.
  8. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    I agree, this is pointless for anyone interested in cutting the cable. It's even more annoying that I can't edit the 3 dozen icons that I'm not able to and will never use.
  9. macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2003
    Tempe, AZ
    Pointless and will sit unused on my appleTV due to cable subscription requirement.
  10. macrumors regular

Aug 30, 2008
    Costa Rica
    At least in the States there is the possibility of someone using those 327834 new channels added every month to the Apple TV. I live in Costa Rica where the only app that works is Netflix and the rest are useless.
  11. macrumors member

Feb 5, 2008

I've actually been weaning myself off the whole iTunes ecosystem lately in anticipation of the new set-top box I plan to buy this September (the ATV2 is getting long in the tooth). The only requirements I have are that it allow third-party apps and not force-feed me 24/7 Cricket News and a dozen lookalike "channels" that require me to have a cable subscription (if I had cable, what in #$@^%'s name would I need the apps for??).

It's really beginning to look like whatever my new box turns out to be, it's not likely to be "Designed in California by Apple."

It's a real shame that Apple has allowed its once-promising "hobby" to turn into a waste of a good HDMI input.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2012
    B'more or Less
    You can edit/hide the channel icons under Settings/Parental Controls.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Mar 1, 2011
    Wait what now? Are you sure? In settings, there is a place to show or hide the various channels that would appear on the :apple: TV.
  14. macrumors regular

Aug 23, 2010
    get over it

content owners aren't going to give up content for free. until there is a paid streaming package that apple offers up, you will not see major networks have apps without cable logins. I know we all want it but seriously it is time for people to wake up. Why would FX built an app for appleTV and have all their content available for free? Cable companies would lose subscribers which means FX would lose money.

Until there is enough traffic to convince advertisers to spend a lot on ads for streaming properties, networks will keep requiring a login.

you can hide apps in parental controls, stop whining about getting channels added that you might not like. hide them.
  15. macrumors 6502

Jun 28, 2011
    Any Simpsons episodes I would want to watch I have already ripped or downloaded due to them dragging their feet on this for so long. I imagine a large portion of their audience has as well.

Amazon is likely refusing to give rights to Prime or asking entirely way too much for it since they have competing devices for the TV, tablets, and phones.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2014
    Too late. There's already a (probably illegal) site with every single Simpsons episode on it, plus there are DVDs.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    More subscriber/geoblocked nonsense.

I'll always have podcasts and airplay I guess - and not much else.
  18. macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2009
    Finally. I am glad for this news. But sadly it will probably say I can't use it even though my cable sub would meet the requirements. Happens with all the Channel apps.
  19. macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    They made it even simpler in a recent update: just press and hold the select button until the icons wiggle, then press play/pause, and it will give you an option to hide that icon.

20. macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2013
    New York, New York
    Yet another channel that I will hide....

Cable subscription required? Who cares.
  21. macrumors 68000

Oct 2, 2013
    At this point, Apple TV is really a flawed product.
    The "hobby" clearly needs more attention.
  22. macrumors 68000

Jun 19, 2013
    Because it's a CABLE channel.
  23. Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Whakatane, New Zealand
    It's an Internet channel; it's on-demand (and the ATV doesn't have a cable tuner). But allowing people to subscribe to the channel separately is apparently too sensible for Fox.
  24. macrumors 68030

Sep 7, 2006
    I hate when I read these types of stories and then it turns out it requires cable.
  25. macrumors 68000

Jun 19, 2013
    Fox already has agreements in place with cable/sat companies that paid them a LOT of money for rights to that content. You think the cable companies wouldn't balk at fox offering the same content for less to someone else?