FYI: Apple no longer considers iMac G5 midplane a user-servicable part

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by salmon, May 10, 2005.

1. salmon macrumors regular

I've been having some trouble with my iMac G5, and the hardware test CD indicated it was a video card problem. This was expected, because the video was all jittery and the system became terribly unstable.

So, I called up Apple to get them to send me a new midplane assembly, and the (very nice) support person was having trouble understanding why it wasn't on the list that she could ship out. She did some investigation, and discovered that it was intentionally not on the list anymore because it's a no longer considered a user-servicable part.

So now I have to take it into an Apple repair shop - which really sucks, because I live quite a distance away from one, and I just had surgery and can't drive.

Just FYI, in case others had to go through the same thing.

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Go buy AppleCare for about $169 and that will turn your warranty into an onsite. Then they should come to you whenever you have problems.

jon

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Um... what? AppleCare isn't an onsite warranty. To my knowledge Apple does no such thing. His iMac is probably still under warranty, and the only thing AppleCare does is extend that another two years.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

"The AppleCare Protection Plan includes up to three years of onsite service for desktop computers. The plan also provides global repair coverage for portable computers and Mac mini, which can be very important if you travel abroad. Apple-certified technicians perform repairs using genuine Apple parts."

Now it's not available in all areas, but he might be in luck.

jon

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Considering the trouble some people have experienced replacing it, and the number of times the cs people have told people to take the machine apart and try again...

It's probably easier to let it be handled by somebody that does quite a few, instead of getting customers frustrated.

6. sigamy macrumors 65816

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It wasn't just Apple that got nailed, a bunch of faulty capacitors entered the supply chain in a variety of products.

So basically anything that'll get hot can cause these capacitors to leak and/or burst.

8. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Yes but I think this means you go to an Apple Authorized Service center. Or maybe I'm wrong? Some guy in an Apple van comes and says a cheery Hello? :p

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

depending on where you live, i would say so, this is obviously a worst-case senario, and probably rarely happens, more often than not apple will probably have it shipped to them, which is just easier or have you take it to a service center

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Apple will hire out a reseller and dispatch them to their house and fix it. If it's a lot of work they will take the machine and fix it at their service center and return it to the customer. Trust me, I know how this works.

jon

11. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I think iJon is right, he knows a lot about the workings of apple's stuff.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Last I heard, you could mail it in. But it does take a bit longer to get back. Even if they do overnight shipping both ways.

13. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I had an onsite (at my house) repair of my Powermac G5. If you have purchased Applecare they have a local repair service come to your house and do the repair onsite. They brought a new logic board and 4 dimms of memory to repair my system. It only ended up being one of the pairs pairs of Apple RAM was bad.

The Apple phone rep told me to take my Powermac in to the local repair center. I then asked about the onsite repair... After additional "troubleshooting", they dispatched an onsite repair person 48 hours later. (The repair person calls 24 - 48 hours later to schedule, then usually comes the next day).

If possible, DO NOT take a desktop system in for repair, make Apple come out and fix it on site. That's what Applecare is meant to be.