FYI - G4 iMac's DO support more than 1GB of RAM

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Vinny, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Vinny macrumors newbie

Just an FYI,

I just purchased a 1GB stick of ram for my powerbook and though I'd give it a shot in our g4 iMac. Sure enough, I rebooted and system profiler showed 1.5GB total ram. Not sure why applespec says it only supports up to 1GB.......

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

And the G5 can support 16 GB of RAM (or so I've heard).

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

True. But you need to sell your house to get the cash for a 2GB DDR400 DIMM. The Xserves also support that much too. The RAM controller might support more, but the highest physical amount that you can get is a 2GB DIMM.

4. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

crt iMac and 2 gigs of ram?

Could my G3 handle two sticks of 1 gig ram? Just curious?

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

At the time there weren't any 1GB modules that would fit in the chassis, so they couldn't qualify it.

6. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

That's a plausible explanation. Another one is that Apple didn't want to stock 1GB DIMMs and SODIMMs for the G4 iMacs. Specifying a 2GB RAM ceiling would bump it against the MDD Power Mac G4's 2GB specified RAM ceiling. Of course the last two versions of MDD PM G4 (I'm not sure about other previous models) can take 4GB RAM just fine. However, Apple likely didn't want to stock 1GB DIMMs for the PM G4, maybe initially given the scarcity of those parts, and subsequently due to further differentiation with the 1.6GHz Power Mac G5 and its 4GB specified RAM ceiling.

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

How much are they????????

And could you get in trade-in?
    Or maybe a buy back sceme?

8. Bear macrumors G3

Depends on the model of the iMac G4

The earlier iMac G4s are limited to 1GB of RAM. The newer ones are capable of 2GB. I think that they started being capable of 2GB with the models that support Airport Extreme and DDR memory.