FYI! If you are about to buy from the Apple on your American Express

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fireworks501, Jan 4, 2007.

1. fireworks501 macrumors member

Mar 16, 2006
    Hey all,

I mentioned this in another post but thought it was worth a topic of its own.

If you are going to make a purchase from the Apple Online Store and put the purchase on your American Express, you should NOT go to!

Instead, go to first, log-in to your account, and then click on the link to the Apple store. It's the same store that you would access otherwise - just basically a portal, but one that allows you to earn 2X the Membership Points on the amount that you order on the American Express linked to your account.

They have 10,000 other stores too, including Dell if you're a fan of their displays versus Apple's. Do note, though, that while you can order from the Educational Store and ADC Store, you can't use a promo code or discount code and still receive the double points.

I'm not hawking American Express necessarily (despite the fact that they've been fantastic to me), but anyone here looking to buy a Mac on their American Express should do it this way. You earn 2X the points versus 1-for-1.

You can redeem American Express Membership Points for digital cameras, iPods, etc. etc. in addition to airline miles and the regular credit card swag like toasters.

Notably, during the holiday season they generally make Bonus Points Mall do 3X the points.

So, on my mac pro, 30" ACD and Applecare, I earned 21,000 points versus 7,000. And with American Express selling blocks of 1,000 points for $50, that's an extra $700 worth of points I earned just by going through this portal.

Applies to any purchases made at the Apple Online Store - again, not those using promo codes. But anyway, just an FYI and thought I could contribute something new to this forum as a newbie. I've had a few friends who were going to order and then were told about this and ended up with a whole bunch of extra points.

Happy New Year, and post-Macworld buying!

2. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2006
    washington dc

Thanks for the great tip! I wish Apple offered gift cards through AE the way Dell does... I believe you can get $100 from Dell for 10,000 points. Not a bad deal!
  3. tehdee macrumors member

May 7, 2006
  4. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

May 16, 2006
    Central Florida!
  5. fireworks501 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 16, 2006
    The login is handled through American Express's main site, so I trust in American Express's security measures. All the pages that I passed had the secure lock in Safari in them, for what it's worth.

I'm not a security expert though. Take it for what it's worth, or maybe call them.
  6. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
  7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Oct 31, 2006
    Would this work with my student developer one time discount?