FYI: New Airport Extreme DOES NOT work with multi-drive enclosures

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MovieCutter, Feb 3, 2007.

1. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Just an FYI for yall.

I plugged in two multi-drive RAID 0 enclosures. 1xLacie 500GB, and 1xcustom built 1.5TB drive. Neither worked with APX. The base station saw it, but wouldn't mount it. Spent some time with AppleCare, they determined that it was because they were RAID 0 multi-drive drives. I tried a single drive with a generic USB 2.0 port and it worked instantly.

AppleCare did say there may be a fix for this coming soon now that they know about it.

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Oh that's sort of a bummer - so how do you like it. What kind of transfer rates are you getting between the USB hard drive and a computer connected over ethernet? Does it auto mount just like a normal harddrive? Possible to partition it easily just like drives normally in OS X? I'm going to get one pretty soon. I'd like to have a 500GB USB drive attached and have it in multiple partitions, so each mac on the network has their own partition for backups. Possible with this setup? Thanks!

-Kevin

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Well apparently the enclosures you are using are not true hardware RAID enclosures. If they were, it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever what the contain within and how they pair the drives.

4. MovieCutter thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Sorry there Bill Gates...I buy what 99% of the population buys. Sorry I am not as special as you are...:rolleyes: My not-so-special-as-you drives seem to work for all my professional HD video editing, maybe YOU can tell my why it won't work with a simple wireless base station....

Why don't you take one of your SUPER-SPECIAL hard drives and plug it into YOUR Airport Extreme N base station with your super-cool 15" C2D MBP and tell me if it works. Just want to make sure that I'm not super-cool.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Why the negativity? I was just stating that the issue you are having will not occur for everyone, only for those with software RAID enclosures.

6. MovieCutter thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Really, that's why it doesn't work with any of my multi-drive enclosures? Lacie, Cool-Gear, OWC???

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Well apparently they're all software RAID enclosures, which is the most common type.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

BG's right; if it's true RAID then it'll appear to the host as a single drive. It doesn't surprise me that it's not working, as hardware RAID is considerably more expensive, but it does indeed explain why it's not working.

9. pengu macrumors 6502a

Because an airport base station is NOT a computer that knows how to handle SOFTWARE raid systems. Either buy a hardware RAID unit, plug the device into your mac, or better yet: do what you want.

10. MovieCutter thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Well then friggin A. What's the point. If I have spend 3-4x more on a hardware RAID just to store my DVD collection, then hell with it.

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You don't, but currently you'll have to connect it to a Mac and share it over the network until (if) Apple addresses this issue.

Edit: Thanks pengu. :)

12. MovieCutter thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Thanks Billy Boy

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

My MBP pushes files at around 3MB/s to a USB drive I have hooked up to my new Airport Extreme.

It pushes files at around 9MB/s to a Mac mini I have directly connected (CAT5) to the same Airport Extreme.

Both times the AirPort Utility showed my connection as 300 Mb. I get the same performance as wireless (3MB/s) when copying a file from the mini to the USB drive off of the Airport.

I have the USB drive hanging off the AE partitioned into 3 areas. When I use the AirPort Disk Utility to connect to the drive, all three partitions mount on my MBP each time. I can dismount the others, but I haven't found a way to just mount ONLY the one I want for this computer.

14. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I don't know if this would be practical or not, but hiding the partitions you don't want mounted might do the trick.

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I give Moviecutter credit for knowing the difference between a two drive case that uses Software RAID and a two drive case that uses hardware RAID built into its bridge chipset

For Example: LaCie BigDisk Extreme
    "Easy-to-use: no software configuration, driver-free
    • Built-in RAID 0 for Extreme FireWire 800 speed"

Not entirely surprising, as USB is far slower than the IDE or SATA bus you have in the Mini. USB requres CPU management, I wouldn't be shocked if the processor in the router simply isn't powerful enough to keep the USB bus fed and watered. Would be interesting to compare the speed of that same USB drive attached to the Mini, to test that theory.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

Is there a huge difference between Firewire 400 and USB? That mini has an external Firewire drive, and when I just copied the same file to it, it was about the same speed as the internal drive.

17. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Firewire is more designed to transfer large files and doing that at a constant speed.

18. Maynerd macrumors regular

Will this router work with a USB hub and multiple External USB hard drives?

19. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Wow...

He was right, you weren't wrong, just simply misinformed.

And yes, we get it that you think you're important because you edit in HD. Congratulations.

20. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

From Apple's website :

Share your hard drive
    Now you can share an external USB hard drive over your wireless and wired network by simply connecting it to the USB port on your AirPort Extreme Base Station. Called AirPort Disk, it's perfect for sharing files, making backups, and more. You can even connect multiple drives and printers using a USB hub (sold separately). (See system requirements.)

21. Maynerd macrumors regular

Good to know. Thanks!

22. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

try this
    i did it, and it worked perfectly on a firewire attached external. i would think it would also work with network attached drive

23. aristobrat macrumors G4

Thanks. I'll give that a shot later on and see how it works out! :)

24. maxp1 macrumors regular

Lookin' to me as if MovieCutter owes some apologies...