G-5 eMac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Graphite, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Graphite macrumors newbie

Would anyone know if the next generation eMac would have a G-5 processor?

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Nobody knows, but there's a lot of speculation that the eMac will be replaced or maybe discontinued.

3. Zaty macrumors 65816

I'd say the eMac will be discontinued rather than moved to the G5. Apple already offers an education only model of the iMac G5. Even though this one is much more expensive than the eMac, prices for the iMac will drop over time.

4. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

G5 eMac IS the G5 iMac

I do not think that the eMac will be available as G5 - the iMac G5 looks just like the G4 eMac, prices will drop significantly over time (as specs go up) and I really do not think that the lowest end machine that Apple sell (eMac) will be sold with a better processor than the Top-End Powerbook (pro level) which is still firmly chained to the G4 Processor at the moment.
    :eek:

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And less capable, with the lack of an optical drive. IMO the iMac G5 needs to offer a 17" screen and a combo optical drive (SDD preferred) at a $1000 price point before the eMac can be pulled from the line up.

I see the next rev. of the eMac going to a G4 1.5, a 64mb Tiger compatible video card.

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

an "eMac" with a G5 will happen when a computer with a G5 and an LCD has come down in the price to the point where eMacs are sold right now. i don't think a future eMac with a G5 will have a CRT... that means...

basically, i think eMac may not see a G5... like others said, instead, i think eMac will be phased out as iMac price drops and maybe one of them will get to the point of being considered an "eMac G5"

7. dieselg4 macrumors regular

dieselg4

Though it might be the ugly ducking of the lineup, i would think oders and sales numbers wouls define the eMac's life span. Anybody have any idea how its selling, esp. to schools/edu.?

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I remember the old iMac G3's at $799 for a long time with the eMac over $1,000. At that price the iMac wasn't really a bargin anymore. They eventually got quietly phased out and the eMac transitioned to that price point. It could happen the same way with the G5 iMac replacing the eMac.

I would like to see a $599 eMac by next year with a flat panel 15 inch display to lower the weight and shipping cost.

9. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

If the Powerbooks go dual core, the G4 could become Apples portable chip. And You also have to remember a few years ago iBook specs were better than Powerbook specs. And the only thing the Powerbook had going for it was Alti-Vec and the 15" screen and Gig/E. And it would be alot harder to put a G5 in a Powerbook than a eMac

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Um...
    Don't you mean "the eMac looks like the G3 iMac"? :confused:

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If the G5 goes dual-core as well, that changes everything...doesn't it? Apple could stick a dual-core 1.6 GHz G5 CPU in the PowerBook with PowerTune - such a PowerBook would zoom by the PowerBook G4s, especially when it is running off AC power. PowerTune would also give the PowerBook better battery life if implemented correctly.

12. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Sure prices will drop, but it will take many many years. The only Apple computer I could afford is the eMac at £549, the new iMac sells for considerably more - £919.

13. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Where? I haven't read anything about this.

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Given the abuse school computers take, why invest in a bunch of iMac G5s? They seem that they would be much more prone to damage (especially the LCD) than a similarly equipped eMac.

I say keep the eMac line and add a G5... give schools an option.

15. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I can see where the G5 iMac resembles the G4 eMac. Look at the two facades side by side.

Attached Files:

16. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

There wasn't an emac when the imac G3's were out.

17. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Computers at schools should be locked behind cages at all times. Given the eMac is in one piece, it's perfect for cages.

18. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Technically, yes but according to Mactracker, the iMac was discontinued on January 2002 but 500 and 600 Mhz models were still sold past that date. The eMac was introduced in April of 2002. I remember a few months of overlap with the eMac until the option to buy one was gone from the online store.

19. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Harsh
    :(