G-5 eMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Graphite, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Graphite macrumors newbie

Would anyone know if the next generation eMac would have a G-5 processor? And if so, when would the release date be? Thank You!

2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Nobody knows who isn't under a nondisclosure agreement.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Probably not. 1.5ghz G4 processors are already on the market (PowerBook) and the eMac is only using a 1.25ghz G4. I expect the next eMac update will be relatively soon and will probably sport a 1.5ghz G4

4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

This exact same question was asked just yesterday. Please search first. Link

5. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Graphite wouldn't really need to search for that other thread, because he/she started it.

6. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

That's what I think. Chances are it'll be updated soon - Tuesday anyone? :D

JOD8FY

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

A little too soon IMO. I think closer to mid or late next month. This will be with the next revision of PB's. There is a logic in this in order to gain Holiday marketshare, and not to hurt the remaining Back-To-School sales.

8. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I don't think you'll see a G5 based eMac for quite some time. IBM/Apple are having enough trouble keeping up with PowerMac/iMac G5 orders. The eMac is Apple's extreme low end machine and currently doesn't even use the G4 to its full potential. I don't see any reason for Apple to make the eMac with a G5 in it. I don't think Apple could put a G5 in an eMac and still sell it for $799. Apple needs a $799 computer to try and compete with the $499+ Dells, HPs, Gateways, etc....

I think the next eMac update will be early next year. According to some vague rumors, its could be a significant update too, with a 1.5 GHz G4, larger capacity HD's, better graphic cards, etc.... Possibly even using a dual core G4 processor if available.

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I agree, G5 is too much in demand to put it in the emac anytime this year.

And do education customers really demand it yet?...

I could see a new G4, and maybe a further price cut.

The other possibility is that they will hold off on the G5 for the emac for a year or so and push out a completely new emac...Steve always disliked the CRT...maybe LCDs prices for 15"s will be cheap enough in a year to revamp it without a price hike...

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The issue is that even in the Edu market power means saving ones job down the road. That is why Apple has some issues in getting a greater portion of the Edu market.

11. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Heres a better question, do you think we will see a G6 in a powermac before we see a G5 in a eMac?