G[B]mail anyone???

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mashinhead, Aug 19, 2004.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I ran by this thread (http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=109807) offering a bunch of free GB accounts, which is pretty cool, i didn't know about them. Anyway i was interested in knowing if anyone knew when google's gmail would launch?? :confused:

Also ebay sells a bunch of GMail account invitations really cheap. What exactly is an invitation?? do you get a full permanent account immediately??/

2. JediL1 macrumors member

JediL1

Gmail

I bought a Gmail invitation on eBay recently.

Basically, you get an email with a personalized link that allows you to register for a gmail address. After you register, you can log in and use gmail just like hotmail or yahoo mail.

Friends and family of google employees got the first invitations, then they periodically got new invitations that they could send to anyone they want to try gmail. The new people that registered then got invitations to send out...eventually some people started to sell the invitations on eBay.

Nobody knows when Gmail becomes available to everyone. Now that the IPO is complete, it could be soon. The features are almost complete, just a couple things like saving drafts are still unavailable.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I think gmail will go public around the end of the year. Meantime, it's not hard to get an invite, I have one I use for large file transfers (it's a godsend! Google is the Apple of web services). If I was getting invites I'd give you one...

paul

4. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

I just bought one of ebay, pretty cheap. the think is can i set it up so my mail comes to my mac mail program or entourage. And on an unrelated note, for ppl who use those programs, which do you prefer and why. thanks

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I got an invite via gmailswap.com, I love it, despite having .Mac I am finding myself using gmail more than that these days, it really is very good.

BTW, from everything I've heard, don't bother with spymac 1GB mail, slow, crap, and unreliable :(

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yes, an invitation gets you full access. Gmail is in a beta testing phase, so it's not been rolled out yet-- but they went with the unique idea of granting invitations, so people can choose who else gets to test. But it's become a big thing to sell them.

The invite is simply an email with a special link, you click and it lets you open a gmail account. I wouldn't pay too much, because they'll be free soon...

paul

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

Meh, 10mb limit on attachments.
    Blows. Look at how nicely I've filled my Gmail inbox with <10mb files :)
    [​IMG]

8. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

I think they've stopped giving out invites now which means that the only invites left are the ones that have already been given out. So if you want a gmail account then get on to ebay sharpish because they are running out! plus gmail rocks! :D

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why does it rock so much? Its just a large capacity email account, like all the others. Is it better than Fastmail? Is it better than Yahoo? Is it better than the other services offering 250MB or more? Can I use Mail with them?

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You cannot use Mail to access your Gmail. Gmail is great because of the simple, fast interface, the way it auto completes email addresses as you type them from your contacts, the spell checker, the way it organises your emails as conversations and so on. It's just great!

11. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I love gmail. I got an invite from applefan through the gmail pay it forward thread. I probably only get ads on 25% of my email. :D Though I find that you have to hit the refresh button about 2 times each time you go to it in Safari to get past the Loading.... screen. The way it organizes mail is great for the subscription emails from macrumors.

12. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

13. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    what isn't?

14. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

No I didn't pay for it, someone gave me an invite. Not quite so lame if its free is it?! :p

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I paid a few quid, and because I got in there early before joe public gets at it I was able to get myname@gmail.com, a well spent few quid if you ask me.

16. macsrus macrumors 6502

The funny thing about Google is.... Its best search days are probably already behind it....
    It is becomming a victum of its own success...
    Googles main method of searching is the gathering of meta tags and hyperlinks found on other sites...
    As people stop listing links to their own favorite sites Googles intelligence goes down...

But it still is my search engine of choice

17. King Cobra macrumors 603

I take it few people read (one of) the Slashdot articles about Gmail back in April. It is a six-month test. So it should be finalized and available to the public around October 1.

18. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

gmail was possibly the first web-based email site that I joined where I DIDNT get any spam. the day after I joined Yahoo, i had spam ALREADY, and I didnt even give my email out yet!

gmail has a great interface, I love it. the simple things, like the way it organizes all emails into coversations are great. Its also fast and I havnt had many problems with it either.