G-Drive Q Enclosure (or similar ones)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bearbo, Dec 5, 2006.

1. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

so just when I thought I've found the perfect enclosure that I can stick HDDs in... i realized i couldn't find the enclosure just by itself, w/o any harddrive in there.

the G-Drive Q external looks fabulous, had just what i wanted: fanless, FW800, eSATA, and USB in case i need that somehow... however i cannot find a place to purchase just the case of it... or do they even sell it like that for this one?

if not, what are some suggestion of similar enclosures? both in form factor and in connections?

thanks!

2. Keebler macrumors 68030

i bought my enclosure (esata only) from http://addonics.com/
    it was a bit loud, but i bought some quieter fans for it. absolutely rocks. definitely the way to go in terms of cost effectiveness over the long run. internal hard drives are cheap. total cost for the enclosure and wires was $150 - $200 if i remember correctly. esata card for my g5 was $150 too?
    all HDDs show up as if they are internal...no problems yet (knock on wood 3 times for good luck :)

cheers,
    Keebler

3. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000

bearbo

if i use a expresscard/34 to install a esata external, is it gonna show up as internals?

also would esata offer a significant faster transfer rate than FW800?

4. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

I have the Q, and I love it. No fans, super fast data access, and since it uses a SATA2 drive, after it dies, I can replace it with something current, and larger cap.